Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Feb 21, 2008, 06:50 PM
    indefinate integral for trig function
    I would like to know how to set up this specific integral...
    I don't know how to do an integral symbol on here...

I need the integral of : cos^2(x)tan^5(x)
    that's... cosine squared x times tangent fifth x

I have tried doing it by integration by parts, but that won't work because the integral of either part is tricky to get without a graphing calculator.

I'm trying to use trig identities, the only thing I can come up with is breaking tan^5(x) up into secent... OK I admit it I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. I hate trig. If no one responds to this post I won't shed a tear, I hate trig.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 04:53 AM
    Wow, finally a problem with a little meat to it. Something besides the usual "Help me solve x=4 for x".

A lot of times these things take some insight to see the substitution. Besides, trig is cool.

I was a surveyor for years and used it everyday. I didn't have to integrate trig functions, but I used it.

Make the sub

Then you get

Now, if you let

Note that

It whittles down to something fairly easy to integrate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce after Indefinate Leave to Remain [ 4 Answers ]

I recently obtained ILR after 2 years of marriage to my husband who is a british citizen. We have recently had a serious breakdown in marriage and I have left him, one month after obtaining ILR. He is now threatening to report me to immigration on the grounds that I married him through...

Find exact values of a trig function [ 1 Answers ]

Here we go, Find sin2a, cos2a, and tan2a given tan(theta)= -24/7. OK, I know sin2a=2sin a cos a and tan x=sin x/cos x, and tan also =y/x. Knowing that the first thing I did was r=sqrt of -24^2+7^2 which =625. 625 is going to be my denominators for sin2a and cos2a. If possible can someone show me...

Trig integral qn [ 3 Answers ]

I don't understandhow (1/(1-sinx^2)^3/2 )cosx dx goes to (1/cosx^2 ) dx

Contour Integral [ 1 Answers ]

is there anybody there who is interested in complex calculus? Is the theorem right? ---------------------------------------------------------------------- When you integrate f on a closed loop, you may or may not get 0 as the total integral. It depends a lot on what f is, and what the loop is....

View more questions Search