Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Do I even need to keep ZoneAlarm since I am also using AVG Free Edition?
    I wasn't sure exactly which topic area to put this question in - Antivirus, Firewalls or some Other... But, wanted to find out the information from the Experts in such things on this site.

Am just wondering if I even need ZoneAlarm anymore since I am also using AVG Free Edition? Zone Alarm keeps wanting me to download the free update for it.

Thank you!
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 21, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I wasn't sure exactly which topic area to put this question in - Antivirus, Firewalls or some Other... But, wanted to find out the information from the Experts in such things on this site.

Am just wondering if I even need ZoneAlarm anymore since I am also using AVG Free Edition? Zone Alarm keeps wanting me to download the free update for it.

Thank you!
    Hello Clough,

Download the update and keep the firewall. The firewall and AV software actually compliment each other; in that, they both do a unique job so having both adds a layer of protection over and above just having "one or the other." Some people even have an additional layer of protection by adding a malware detection program to the mix but if you haven't had any problems, don't change a thing. As the saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 06:59 PM
    Thank you for your straightforward answer, xphelper! Okay then, I will keep both. Thanks! Had I been able to spread the "love" so soon after giving it to you sometime recently, I would have!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 07:01 PM
    XPhelper already said it. I currently run both. Would not think of having just one or the other. They work excellent together.

Joe
    alexhearn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2010, 11:28 AM
    Not no more avg 2011 and zone alam 2011 are conflicting on all my pcs I just updated?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't remove ZoneAlarm firewall [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have a Pentium4 with WindowsXP pro, update 2. More than a year ago I had the bad idea to install a free version of Zone Alarm firewall. When the year time expired the program stop working. A new version of it was not possible to install due to a file VSPUBAPI.dll that was not found. The...

AVG and Zonealarm on XP [ 5 Answers ]

Many people advise on combining avg and za together instead of norton, I am planning on changing but need to know Which has better anti-spyware and anti-spam protection avg or za? Because that will determine which internet security suite I will get. Also please let me know of the combination you...

Uninstallation of AVG Antivirus Free Version [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to unistall the AVG Antivirus free version but it is not getting uninstalled. These are the following details which occur when I try to uninstall this software:: Local machine: installation failed Initialization: Error: Checking of state of the item registry key...

ZoneAlarm blocking MP3Search.ru? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, my daughter is interested in the MP3Search.ru website, and we have been able to navigate to it in the past. But recently I have installed ZoneAlarm and AdAware/AdWatch on all our computers and we now cannot get to the site. I get the page saying that 'the website is unavailable, check with...

Avg Free [ 11 Answers ]

I have installed AVG Free virus scanner but now I cannot receive or send emails from outlook express. If I close AVG then I can get mail Any ideas - I'm running Windows XP Thanks

View more questions Search