Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teach350 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2006, 01:51 PM
    Downstairs toilet overflows when dishwasher or washing machine is emptying
    When dishwasher and/or washing machine is emptying the downstairs toilet overflows. There is sometimes a bubbling or gurgling sound. Sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. We do have a septic tank, about 5 years old. There is no sewage involved in the overflow just the wash waste waster. A few minutes ago it overflowed a lot. Besides cleaning it up do you have any suggestions as to what is causing this? Thank you, Jesse Adams
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 24, 2006, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teach350
    Besides cleaning it up do you have any suggestions as to what is causing this?
    What's causing it? That much I can tell you. You seem to have a partial clog somewhere downstream, which normal wastewater, powered by gravity, will eventually seep past; however, dishwashers and washing machines (a) eject a lot of water, and (b) force it out using a pump, not gravity. This combination of forces leads to a LOT of water trying to get past a clog VERY quickly - which it can't - and thus, it backs up out of the nearest fixture, which in your case, is the toilet.

As for how to fix it, I'm not sure. You probably need to snake the drain line downstream from the toilet (since the clog seems to be between the toilet and the septic tank), but I'm not such an expert. Probably speedball1 or labman can tell you what to do.

Good luck,
    Moishe
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 24, 2006, 03:28 PM
    Hey Jesse,

Moishe was correct. You have a partial clog. BeforeI did anything I would open up the septic tank and see if it was full and needed pumping. Aood way to check the tank and sewer line is to locate the house clean out and open it up. Now cycle tha washer and watch the cleanout. If it fills up and flows over then you will have isolated your problem. Either the tank needs to be pumped or if the tank's OK the clog is in the sewer line between the cleanout and the inlet of the septic tank and will have to be snaked. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet bubbles when washing machine empties [ 13 Answers ]

When my washing machine empties into the washtub, the nearby toilet has recently (about the past four - five months) started to have big air bubbles come out of the toilet bowl, making a very loud bwoop bwoop bwoop sound. The bubbles are so large that they actually cause water to splash on the...

When we flush the toilet our drain in basement overflows [ 6 Answers ]

Help! This is our first house , we are broke and our drain on the basement floor is overflowing with sewage when we flush the toilet. My husband tried to snake the drain but could'nt find the hole . I poured that Rid-X stuff down in the toilet . What else can we do? Please helP[ ...

Washing Machine Box [ 10 Answers ]

Greetings. My basement has an overhead Sewer pipe going out to the front. Therefore, if I want a washing machine in the Basement, I have to pump the discharge up and out in some way. Right now, the discharge goes to the sump pump hole and then is pupmed out. I want to install a washing...

Washing Machine emptying out in the kitchen sink and bath tub [ 1 Answers ]

We bought a 96 year old house a few months ago. Every time the washing machine is emptying out water comes up in the kitchen sink and the bath tub with a strong sewage smell. The sink in the bathroom also has a strong sewage smell every time you run the water in it. There is a crawlspace...

Ground floor toilet not emptying [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks again for all your help on this forum. My latest problem involves a toilet on the ground floor. The problem first occurred about 4 months ago. I flushed the toilet, it flushed, but the water level stayed about the same. Plunging the toilet didn't help. I removed the toilet, and could...

View more questions Search