Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Spritely Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Vista-- where has all my memory gone? Is this normal?
    This might be an ignorant question, so please bear with me. I don't know much about the inner workings of computers, but it seems that my Acer laptop's hardrive is far fuller than it should be. Of 51.6 GB, I only have 1.25 GB free, and it's running rather slowly. I have no movies saved, no pictures or photos, about 100 MP3s, and roughly 1.6 MB of rtf files. I don't have many applications on it, and I recently went through and cleaned out programs I no longer use.

I brought my computer to the campus help desk earlier, only to puzzle them. The tech swore up and down that I shouldn't be using anything like that much space, and that the OS itself should only be using 15 GB or so. The only thing I can think of is that the hidden ProgramData > Microsoft folder is taking up 37 GB. I have no idea if that's a normal number or what. When I went into that folder to check things out, it seemed that the various components didn't add up to anything like 37 GB.

If anyone is willing to enlighten a n00b, I'd love to hear your ideas as to why I'm getting such wonky numbers and how I could free up some space on my laptop. By some ruthless pruning of old files, I got it to the point where I'm no longer getting 'low memory' error messages, but I'd prefer to not have to do that in the near future. If you need more information, I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Thank you!
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 03:37 PM
    You are correct, you should not be using that much memory!

I have over 600 photos, and well over 5,000 songs with various word type documents, and I still have 67% of my 80 gig HD open!

You are not by any chance running backups on your hard drive are you?

That would be the only way I can see that your memory would be so limited.

Good luck with this one!
    Spritely Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Huh. I suspected as much! I'm not running backups at all. If I can't figure this out myself, it seems that I'll have to have one of the computer shops in town check this out for me. :(

Thank you for the well-wishes, progunr.
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 21, 2008, 08:35 PM
    Hello Spritely,

You might not be running backups but I'll betcha your System Restore is filling up your hard drive with outdated restore points so you might want to try the Vista (built-in) disk cleanup utility here (with step by step instructions): http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My breasts! Normal, or not normal? [ 8 Answers ]

OK, so I'm 12 years old. My breasts are growing fairly quickly, and now I've reached to about a b-cup. The problem is, my right breast is growing at a much faster rate then my left breast. Now it looks ridiculously mis-matched, and my right breast even has stretch marks! I'm worried now, will it...

Referenced Memory Error - Memory cannot be read. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Windows 2003 Server with 2GB Ram. I get an error saying Application error- Explorer.exe giving referenced memory error at 0x00e113f0 - the memory caanot be read. I have removed the memory and swapped with other server's memory but still get the same problem. Could it be a virus?...

To Vista or not to Vista that is a question... [ 9 Answers ]

Does your machine have what it takes to run Windows Vista. Find out HERE with this excellent online tool. (ActiveX is needed for this test) Now personally I will be running Vista on a test box. Hey I've got to at least try and break it, but there is no way it will be on any of my live machines...

Memory [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference bet. Physical memory and virtual memory. I have a total physical memory of 256MB and available is 29.70 MB while virtual is 2.00GB and available 1.96MB. Does this mean that I do not have enough space that's why I'm having slow startup?

View more questions Search