Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjeki15 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 12:00 PM
    My 18 year old son doesn't want to move.
    My son turned 18 in January and has never been employed. He has been arrested several times and smokes marijuana every day with his friends and they all come to my house to hang out while I'm at work. My son appears on my lease. My question is, how do I get him to move out be it eviction or what?
    mirandycc Posts: 70, Reputation: 7

Feb 21, 2008, 12:05 PM
    TOUGH LOVE!! If you are really tired of all of this maybe you should try not supporting him. If he is not employed, then how is he getting the money to support his "habit?" I am not trying to be accusing. Sorry if I come off that way. Maybe tell him to get out, or straighten up. And just lay down the law. Tell him you do not appreciate his friends being there without u there.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Get his name off the lease, change the locks and tell him to get out! If he breaks in which he will likely do, then have him arrested for B&E. Too bad you did not try tough love 15 years ago.
    terellowens Posts: 123, Reputation: 9

Feb 21, 2008, 12:07 PM
    I am 17 turning 18 soon and have never been employed... but don't take drugs and go to school still seems harsh from my point of view...

My sister is 16 and wants a job asap where as I don't... but if the drug habit is the reason then good on you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2008, 12:18 PM
    If he is a signator on the lease, then he is everymuch a tenant as you are. Also if he's on the lease, YOU can't evict him, only the landlord can. Nor can you throw him out since he is an equal tenant.

When does your lease expire? Can you move?
    tjeki15 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 12:50 PM
    Well, for starters, I don't support his habit his friends do. Second, he has not gone to school for 2 years and he does appear on my lease and my lease doesn't expire until August. I am desperate right now, and don't know what to do. The law in Florida doesn't help the parents out much they give every right to the kids and that's one of the problems I have had here. I called the police on him several times because he got violent with me and all the police said was that he had every right to be here and maybe he was violent because of me... great cops, huh?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2008, 12:52 PM
    How about calling the cops about his drug use? Or would they blame you for that too?
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Feb 21, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Change the locks or call Dr.Phil...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Legal or not, what the heck, is he gong to sue you in court ? If so what if he gets awarded a couple of months pay, he'll never collect anyway if you refuse to pay, *** read posts here about people who have not paid debts for years and landlords that are not getting money.

If I had a son who was a trouble maker and used drugs, I would lock him out in a heart beat.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 04:47 PM
    Since he is on the lease, why can't you give notice and you move out? It sounds like you are trapped there and not getting any support from law enforcement. Have you contacted an attorney?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2008, 05:13 PM
    What you need to do is go to court and get a restraining order against him. Otherwise if you throw him out and change the locks, he calls the police and they force you to let him back in because that's his official residence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making son & daughter in law move out [ 4 Answers ]

My 24 year old son, his wife & 1 1/2 year old baby have lived with me since Nov. of 2006, they were evicted from their apartment due to none payment of rent and had no where else to go so I (single mother who raised him) took them in. Since that period they have developed severe alcohol abuse...

Getting my daughter, her husband and their son to move out [ 3 Answers ]

Please could someone give me advice as my daughter and son inlaw keep changing their moving out date. I would like to move permanently back into my family home which me and my husband own, which my daughter and son inlaw live in with their son. We have no written contract for them living there...

Move son out [ 2 Answers ]

I have a son who is 23 years old and moved in with us, due to loss of his apartment. He has no written agreement with us and has not paid rent, food or utilites. He is being verbaly abusive with his mother and both of us want him out. He will not leave. The only thing we have done is put him on our...

Son wants to move out of town for a new HS [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, My 16 yr old son moved in with family out of town and transferred to new high school which has made him much happier. He wants to live with us again, but still attend his new school. We are both torn of how to handle this. He does not want to ask us to move, and we don't want to...

Ex wants to Move & Take Son [ 4 Answers ]

I live in CA (with my wife of 7 years, our 2 children, and my step-son) and I have joint legal and 33% physical custody of my 8 year-old son with my ex-girlfriend (even though I get him a lot more than 33%, that percentage is what is on the court orders). My ex recently married a man in the Army,...

View more questions Search