Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmcd0 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2006, 11:55 AM
    Sewer Smell in house
    I am getting what appears to be a sewer smell in my house that seems to be coming up from the basement. I have filled all the traps and the smell continues, from where I cannot tell.

Over the past few years I have had a different problem as well. Roots have apparently worked their way into the main line resulting in occasional water coming up through the basement floor only when my bathtub (it is a large one) is rapidly drained. I have had the drain cleaned twice and drain the tub water slowly. Since the last time I have not had any water seeping up through the floor.

So now the dreaded question. Are the two problems linked? I am wondering if it is possible that the sewage is backing up into the soil and that is the source of the smell (coming up through the cracks in the floor).

Any help would be appreciated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2006, 07:49 AM
    Hi JM,
    "So now the dreaded question. Are the two problems linked? I am wondering if it is possible that the sewage is backing up into the soil and that is the source of the smell (coming up through the cracks in the floor)."
    If you have filled all the traps then that is a distinct possibility. If this is the case you can coat the floor with cement sealer to seal off the cracks and contain the smell. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer smell in house [ 3 Answers ]

We have had a sewer smell in the house for a couple weeks which is getting worse. The smell is not coming directly from any toilet or sink drain. The smell comes and goes. It can be very strong or weak. The basement will smell, and then the smell will work it's way through the walls (the return...

Sewer smell [ 3 Answers ]

A sewer smell started coming from the bathroom sink drain. I put bleach down it and its OK for a few hours and then its back. Could my vent pipe on the roof be clogged? Help!

How to get sewer smell out of my house? [ 1 Answers ]

We have had a sewer smell coming from the basement for 10 days because the trap in the drain in our 'rough in' bathroom dried up, now that it is fixed, how can we get the smell out of the walls and carpet and sofa? HELP!! Thanks for any advice:confused:

Sewer smell in house [ 2 Answers ]

I get a sewer smell in my house. I had a hole in my cast iron vent stack and replaced it. I still get the smell. There is definitely odor problems at the sewre drain in the basement. Strangely, the problem is worst when it rains or is very humid. My house was built in the 50's and it looks...

Sewer smell in the house [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! We have a lingering sewer smell coming out of our guest bathroom. It was a brandnew house when we moved in about two months ago. The bathroom didn't smell until we started to use that bathroom. We sealed the loose connection on the sewer vent pipe that goes through the attic and raised the vent...

View more questions Search