Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    madfire932002 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2011, 03:06 PM
    STEVE75 the best way to get water out of your tank is completely drain the tank change your fuel filter fuel your car back up but put one thing of dry gas and one thing of octane boost in the tank with your fresh gas that should work if it does not work change you plugs, wires, and might as well change you air filter while you are at it. If all that does not work you will have to change your fuel pump out them water froze up the pump. When you get all that done and it still did not work you will have to take your car/truck to the garage and have them flush your fuel system out.
    madfire932002 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2011, 03:20 PM
    Arivera112 your question is so simple it not that you have water in your gas tank it is because your fuel pump is going bad. When there is only a little bit of gas in the gas tank the fuel pump when it is going bad not have the balls to pull the gas anymore cause there is only a little bit left so change your fuel pump and everything will be good to go. A little tip when you get your new pump don't let it go under half a tank to often cause what happens is the pump sucks up dirt in the bottom of the tank and completely destroy the pump
    patti5555 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2011, 06:31 PM
    My car was running fine.then one morning I woke up to the car spitting and nit stating and when it did it stopped right away I am a single women and I need a machanic to let me know what to do patti
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2012, 06:41 PM
    Patti, start by telling us what you're driving. Do you have any dash lights coming on? Like a "check engine" light.
    Was it flashing, or was it on steady.
    When did you last fuel up. Just the night before?
    Have you been putting off going to a mechanic for periodic maintenance? What was done to it last?
    These questions answered will help us to help you. See the link below.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...le-303903.html
    OleTimer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2012, 11:35 AM
    The sock in the tank on most cars since the 80's is designed to stop water (not moisture) from being sucked into the pump. If a large amount of water is in the tank - the coated sock will degrease the flow of fuel - causing the miss. Most water can be pumped or siphoned out. Dry gas is designed to remove moisture and will only mix with water and create a greater problem at the bottom of the tank.
    choverocker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2012, 11:12 AM
    I had 5+ inches of water in my tank... they cleaned the tank, put an additive in the new gas, but never changed the fuel filter... still runs like crap... can you help me??
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2012, 11:16 AM
    What year, make, model, engine?
    choverocker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2012, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    What year, make, model, engine?
    2009 chrysler sebring... 4 cyl. The engine light stays on steady and also flashes.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2012, 11:59 AM
    You need to attach a scan tool to the data link connector and read the codes stored in the PCM. That will definitely put you on the right track.

A lot of the water forming in gas tanks comes from using gasoline with ethanol. Alcohol has a strong affinity for moisture. Only use an engine oil that is "SN" rated, which is formulated to resist the deliterious effects of water in oil.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2012, 04:00 PM
    It may take a lot of driving to clean up them fuel injectors. I've had many with fuel contamination and after many cans of pressurized fuel injector cleaner, and miles and miles of driving, the engine appears to run good. But still a hiccup or 2. If they're iridium spark plugs, they hate anything other than pure fuel. So, just a little experience thrown attcha.
    cdcramer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2013, 03:34 PM
    Buy the additive for the gas tank, the stuff that gets the water out, and keep your tank full, granted gas cost $4 per gallon, make sure your coil pack is producing spark, and get your idle adjusted, make sure car has a good tune up!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1994 ford f150 won't switch to front gas tank from rear tank [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1994 ford f150 xl 4.9 straight v6 with dual gas tanks. When I try to switch over to the front tank from the rear tank the truck stalls out and won't start. Why is this and how can I fix this problem? <PS> even if I switch over before I even try starting the engine the truck still...

Water pressure against tank height and tank water capacity [ 5 Answers ]

Normally the head pressure of water is .433 pounds per foot of head. Is there any change in pressure by changing the tank water capacity. e.g. if two tanks of 50ft height having water capacity of one is 10,000 gallons and other one has 20,000 gallons. What will be the water pressure difference...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Vactioning gas hot water tank [ 1 Answers ]

:) Can I shut off the city water when I have a gas hot water tank for 5 months while on vacation?

Low boy GAS hot water tank [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all: Can any one out there help me ? I need a new GAS lowboy hot water tank. I can't seem to locate one. It has to be 48" or less... Thanks a lot Dave

View more questions Search