Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Azz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2006, 09:34 AM
    Internet sharing on wireless network (ad hoc)
    Hi this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me.
    I have a PC and a laptop both with wireless cards. I've managed to connect the 2 and have good signal. I went into my internet connection settings and clicked the check box "allow others to connect through this computers internet connection". I checked ip config and I have no IP for mt default gate way. When I open IE it says "detecting proxy settings" in the bottom left corner. If any can help me I would really appreciate it. (so many frustrating hours :confused: lol )
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 24, 2006, 11:27 AM
    HI there and welcome.

My advice to you is NOT to setup Internet connection sharing on an ahdoc wireless network as it is massively unsecure, leaving yourself wide open for "hackers" and spammers.
    If you are running a cable or DSL connection you would be wise to invest in an internet gateway router.
    Basically it's a box that connects to your DSl/Cable line and shares the internet connection to your computers either via cables or wirelessly.
    This kind of setup is easy to do and comes with a whole host of security features including a dedicated hardware firewall, a must have on a Broadband connection.

Linksys make some excellent boxes that do just this.
    Here are their wireless gateways.

Hope this helps.

Ps there's no need to double post ;)
    thetachi464 Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Jan 24, 2006, 06:04 PM
    It sounds like you have the connection coming in from the ethernet connector or a modem and then out through the wireless card. If so you have to bridge the connections. Then both can connect. I have a feeling that you are not very computer savy( I may be wrong) and this can be rather hard to figure out. But the easiest is just to pick up a wireless router they are pretty cheap now and easy to setup.
    ankujuniyal9797 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 06:15 AM
    The easiest way to share files on your network is to set up sharing with a homegroup. If you don't have a homegroup, you can share files by placing them in one of the Public folders. Any file or folder you put in a Public folder is automatically shared with the people connected to your network. To turn on Public folder sharing, follow these steps:

Open Advanced sharing settings by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type network, click Network and Sharing Center, and then, in the left pane, click Change advanced sharing settings.

Click the chevron Picture of the chevron icon to expand the current network profile.

Under Public folder sharing, click one of the following options:

Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders

Turn off Public folder sharing (people logged on to this computer can still access these folders)

Click Save changes. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

You will need to repeat the previous steps on each computer that you want to share files from.

To share your files, save them or copy them to a Public folder on your computer. There is a Public folder for each type of library (Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures). Every person with a user account on the computer shares these folders. For example, to open the Public Documents folder:

Open the Documents library by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Documents.

In the navigation pane, under Libraries, double-click Documents, and then double-click Public Documents.

Or
    First of all the drive u want to sear go to his property then make it sear file,then in which the file you want to sear go to run edit her system i.p addrash then enter,now you can sear -ankuj uniyal

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sharing files over wireless network [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am new to this forum but I love these things... I have 2 computers--one connected through a modem to comcast cable and then my laptop connected through a linksys wireless set up to this computer. The tower has windows xp with service pack 2 installed and the laptop with windows xp pro and...

Sharing internet connection on wireless network (ad hoc) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a PC and a laptop both with wireless cards. I've managed to connect the 2 and have good signal. I went into my internet connection settings and clicked the check box "allow others to connect through this...

File Sharing on a Wireless Network [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings to All!:) I am trying to share files amongst 3 computers (one is a laptop). The main computer is connected to the internet directly to a cable modem. The other 2 (laptop & my son's computer) connect to the internet via a wireless connection. All this was setup by someone we paid to...

Wireless internet sharing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to set up a wireless LAN that connects two computers. I have a D-Link AirPLus G wireless router that connects to my ADSL modem. A D-Link wireless card on the laptop and a TP-Link wireless card on the desktop. I logged on to internet using my laptop first, and it worked, but then when I...

Setting up an Internet Lan wireless Network [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to get wireless internet for my house and I am totally clueless so I hope you guys could help me out here. Firstly I want to share my internet between like 3-4 computers (2 desktop, 2 laptop) through a wireless router. I also hope able to connect all of them through a lan network...

View more questions Search