Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aes416 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 03:38 PM
    Cartilage Piercing red and swollen.
    I just got my cartilage pierced 4 days ago (with a needle, not a gun). I've been cleaning it as instructed. Right now, it's red, swollen, and painful. I assume this is normal since it's only been four days. But these are also signs of infection... I was just wondering at what point I should start to worry.

Thanks!
    Dana2007 Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Feb 20, 2008, 04:27 PM
    Have you contacted the business that did the piercing?

Did they give you any written instructions and warnings?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 05:32 PM
    I'm not surprised that it is still red, swollen and tender. Cartilage piercings are one of the hardest piercings to heal, and they are also the slowest to heal as well. With most other piercings, you start feeling better the next day after getting pierced, or the day after that. Cartilage piercings can remain this way for up to 2 weeks before you start feeling better.

Signs of infection include severe redness, severe swelling, and a yellow or green discharge that smells bad. An advanced infection can also include fever and/or chills. What I mean by severe redness is, it would be so red that its actually almost purplish in color. Severe swelling can look like your ear is actually swelling around the jewelry, almost looking like its going to swallow it. If you have any of those symptoms, infection is possible and you should see a doctor.

Remember that a piercing is a wound to your body, and any wound is going to cause some form of swelling and discomfort. If it is taken care of properly, these things that you are experiencing will go away as fast as your body allows them to.

Good luck! :)
    aes416 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 10:43 PM
    I was given a set of written instructions. I have not yet contacted the place again.

Thanks for clarifying more symptoms of infection! Hopefully it'll feel better in a week or so.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Good luck and I hope it feels better. Remember to go to the doc if you develop symptoms of infection. :)
    jjuulliiaa xox Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 07:22 AM
    U got your cartilage pierced wit a needle
    I want to get mine done to wit a needle too :O
    I was wondering how much did it hurt?
    Because I'm kind of scared is the pain bad?
    BatteryPoweredStar-- Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 08:11 AM
    I've been in the same sitch. I got mine done last December at a tattoo parlour in the city and when they did it, I didn't even flinch! But when I got out it started to go red and throb, but that was normal I guess, and it also did help that I always slept on the side I got it done one haha, but I think the time to know when its becoming infected is if you see a tiny tiny tiny cyst anywhere around the pierced hole, when you see that, make sure you take EXTRA care of it..

Hope this helps, alicia xxx
    jordanzloty Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 13, 2009, 11:30 PM
    Small cysts on the back of the ear at the site of the piercing are normal for up to several months after the time of the piercing; they typically contain small amounts of normal bodily fluid like concentrations of white blood cells, and are a normal sign of healing. One should only become alarmed at cysts on the ear if abnormal pain, size, and/or color is observed on/around the cyst. This would be an early sign of infection, and should be treated as soon as possible. To easily treat such an issue before it becomes serious, one should clean the area with antibacterial soap or solution or hydrogen peroxide and apply a triple antibiotic ointment such as neosporin directly to the site (generic brand ointment works just as well and about half the price, as long as it contains the same type and amount of active ingredients). Do this once or twice a day (right after showering and right before bed works great). If this simple treatment does not cause the cyst(s) to decrease in size after a day or two, one can go a step further and physically drain excess fluids from the cyst(s). To do so, clean the area as mentioned before and gently but firmly pop the cyst using a needle sterilized with alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, or antibacterial solution. Bleeding at this point is normal. Once again clean the area, gently blot dry and apply antibacterial ointment. Continue to perform the cleaning process for several more days or until you are comfortable that your ears are once again healthy. *Some medical professionals advise against the use of hydrogen peroxide for such treatments only because it kills healthy cells in addition to bacterial cells. However, for purposes of short-term wound treatment such as this, hydrogen peroxide proves effective in quickly removing harmful substances (like pus) without permanent damage to epidermal cells on ear cartilage. Damaged cells will almost always regenerate in healthy, non-cancerous skin. I have 3 cartilage piercings in addition to 4 lobe piercings and have extensive experince in performing, cleaning and treating various types of piercings. Further questions or concerns? Feel free to email me at [email protected]
    NickyDSpencer18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2011, 05:31 PM
    I have 2 previous cartilage piercings which were both done with a gun and my first one took a while to heal but was fine after but the second one my ear swelled so much it engulfed the piercing so automatically I thought it was infected so I went to the docs and found out I had a bad allergic reaction to the actual jewellery so you may need to be aware of that as well! I have just got my third cartilage piercing done a couple of days ago and I got this one done with a needle and to the people who think or have said it hurts so much it really doesn't and its very quickly done but professionally so if I get more piercings I will definitely get them done with needles! Hope this info as useful :)
    Beliebers_Rule Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2012, 03:37 PM
    How long would I have too wait for me too switch earrings? Please answer soon soon I got mine done 2 days ago with a needle!
    kaileypoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2012, 09:10 PM
    Is it normal to have my ear throb when I clean it? And it is also red hot, should I be concerned? It feels like someone is pinching me after I clean it is that a sign of infection?
    funnydbear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2012, 05:52 AM
    Probably a month
    Carrot_Lawrence Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2012, 08:20 AM
    My ear is so so painful, it is red, and swollen up a lot. I had my piercing done on wednesday(it is now sunday)it was fine, for 2 days, and now it kills. PLEASE HELP! Will I have to take it out?
    tiffanybrooke09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2012, 04:22 PM
    Carrot_Lawrence... mine feels the same way today. It's not like really painful but it's sore.. maybe it's normal? I've been cleaning mine with water and sea salt. I think I did fall asleep on the side I had done last night so maybe that has something to do with it. I got mine on Saturday and it's now Tuesday.
    kimasmka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2012, 03:06 AM
    It takes 3 to 4 weeks before you can switch out earrings but 3-4 months before the piercing actually heals.
    n0la Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

May 30, 2012, 11:07 AM
    I've had mine done for 6 days (done by needle), I have experienced loads of red-ness but only when I lie on it by accident!

I haven't had any swollen parts though, I suggest you just take care of it.. there's no more advice than that... I don't clean mine properly and mines just fine, I usually use soap/water and I haven't found any problems..

It's probably a worry over nothing!

But DON'T change the earring till after at least 3 months, it KILLS to take out when you do and you risk infection too!
    Igill Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 11:04 AM
    I got my first cartilage earring done a year a half ago, then I got another one about 6 months ago, and it got infected, so I took it out. Then, I got another one after that one healed and it was doing fine, but now it's red, swollen and it hurts really bad if I bump it or lay on it. I've had it for 4 months and I really don't want to take it out and go threw the 3 month healing again.. How could I make it better without having to take it out?
    rustyshakleford Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jun 16, 2012, 04:19 PM
    Different people respond differently to piercings. I had a tragus (one of the thickest cartillage regions) piercing done for about a year and a half and it never really healed. It was always red and eventually developed a bump. Sometimes the bump would subside but it would always return perhaps due to irritation etc. People say these take anywhere between 3 months to year but for me I guess my immune response was more severe and did not accept the piercing. I tried camomile compresses and sea salt cleansing to no avail. Ultimately I did the sensible thing and removed it.
    lovebug2012 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 07:07 AM
    I got my cartlige 1 month ago and there is a bump right where I got my cartlige @... could u tell me what that mean?
    lovebug2012 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 07:09 AM
    It needs to take a about a month 2 change it because it might heal up

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cartilage piercing [ 2 Answers ]

I had the cartilage in my right ear (up at the top) pierced nearly 14 weeks ago, with a gun (yes, I know this was unwise!). It bled slightly during the first night as I rolled onto it in my sleep, but has given me no problems since then - no discharge, no pus, nothing. The swelling took a few days...

My cartilage piercing is very swollen [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I just got my cartlidge pierced around 6 months or so ago and it was fine after I got it pierced but in the last few days it's been really sore and now it's all red and swollen here is a picture of just how bad it is http://tinypic.com/r/245n8lf/6 please I need help on what to do thanks

Is it normal for my cartilage piercing to still be red? [ 5 Answers ]

I pierced my cartilage the day before yesterday and it's still kind of red. Its sore to touch and twist the stud. I don't know if this is normal or if it is infected. I know I just put a hole through my skin so it's going to take a while to heal but I don't want to get any infections. When should I...

Does your cartilage piercing get swollen? [ 2 Answers ]

I pierced my cartilage on Friday which was like 4 days ago but it's a little swollen I noticed it a little flat but I clean it alott during the day I clean it whenever I can but I want to know if the swelling will go down because I'm kind of worried about it

Cartilage piercing red and swollen? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, so I was a tad stupid and got my first cartilage piercing 1 week ago, then decided to get the one right underneath it done 2 days later, even though I know it would increase change of infection, anyway it was fine, I was cleaning them twice a day, and they were painless, and going well. But...

View more questions Search