Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharris Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Pregnant and Exhausted!
    I am pregnant with my third child:D! My first two pregnancies, while they were no walk in the park, were nothing like this. I am extremely nauseous, I have been from day one. I know that's normal and that isn't very concerning to me except for I have been losing weight (not a lot)? I figure that it will get better with time and I have medicine for it now. The thing that bothers me the most is that I am so tired all the time. I understand that being tired may be a part of prenancy but I am not sure to what extreme? I also feel slightly "out of it".

I guess my questions are:

Is it normal to be so exhausted all the time (from morning to night)?
    If so is there anything that I can do to help boost my energy level?
    If not should I get tested for anemia or maybe something else?

:confused:
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Feb 21, 2008, 01:18 PM
    How far along are you? Early in pregnancy you could be quite exhausted, especially with two other children to care for. You could try increasing you water intake, or improving your diet. Both would be good to do anyway if you haven't already. Try exercising. I nice easy walk every day can do wonders. If you still feel there is something more, definitely talk to your doctor. Anemia is very common in pregnancy. You may need to take some iron suppliments if that is the case. Good luck, and I hope you can get some energy back.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Feb 21, 2008, 02:23 PM
    I puked almost every other day until about 17 weeks (I think). Both my baby and I turned out fine. You should talk to your doctor and go in the clinic if you can't keep anything down for several hours. If it makes you feel better most babies of mothers (that I know of) with extream morning sickness turn out just fine.
    CMM_Kaleido Posts: 77, Reputation: 8

Feb 21, 2008, 09:03 PM
    Definitely take automansgirl's advice, if you are worried about whether your exhaustion is normal ask your doctor. Worrying about it will just add to your exhaustion.

Having said that, during the first trimester of both my pregnancies (I did notice it was worse with the second) throughout the day I found myself at a place beyond tired. I wasn't tired where I needed to sleep or exhausted like I had run a marathon I simply couldn't move anymore.

I felt "slightly out of it" for all of the second pregnancy. Sometimes my brain connections were just a little slow--like someone had mis-aligned the train tracks. This may have had just as much to do with figuring out how to mom to number one as it did with the pregnancy.

Feb 22, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by babieface85
    I puked almost every other day untill about 17 weeks (i think). Both my baby and I turned out fine. You should talk to your doctor and go in the clinic if you can't keep anything down for several hours. If it makes you feel better most babies of mothers (that I know of) with extream morning sickness turn out just fine.

I am really not worried about morning sickness. I don't vomit. I am just so nauseated that I cannot seem to make myself eat enough, therefore; I haven't gained any weight and I have lost around 5-10lbs. Also, the nausea isn't just in the morning it is all day and night. The doctor gave me medicine though and I am working on it.

However, I do believe that possibly not eating right is contributing to my exhaustion.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Oh and I am 6 1/2 weeks.

Feb 22, 2008, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by automansgirl
    How far along are you? Early in pregnancy you could be quite exhausted, especially with two other children to care for. You could try increasing you water intake, or improving your diet. Both would be good to do anyway if you haven't already. Try exercising. I nice easy walk every day can do wonders. If you still feel there is something more, definitely talk to your doctor. Anemia is very common in pregnancy. You may need to take some iron suppliments if that is the case. Good luck, and I hope you can get some energy back.

I am 61/2 weeks. I take vitamins everyday, however; I do not get good hydration or nutrition because of my nausea.:( I stay sick most of the time (day and night), so it is hard for me to eat and drink. But, like I said before the doctor gave me medicine and I'm working on that part of it and I will definitely try to take a little walk everyday maybe it will help!

Thanks a lot.

Feb 22, 2008, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CMM_Kaleido
    Definitely take automansgirl's advice, if you are worried about whether your exhaustion is normal ask your doctor. Worrying about it will just add to your exhaustion.

Having said that, during the first trimester of both my pregnancies (I did notice it was worse with the second) throughout the day I found myself at a place beyond tired. I wasn't tired where I needed to sleep or exhausted like I had run a marathon I simply couldn't move anymore.

I felt "slightly out of it" for all of the second pregnancy. Sometimes my brain connections were just a little slow--like someone had mis-aligned the train tracks. This may have had just as much to do with figuring out how to mom to number one as it did with the pregnancy.

That makes me feel better, I mean knowing that someone else out there was "out there" during pregnancy. I thought I might me losing it because I was so exhausted and obviously don't get the right nutrition for me and my baby. I just didn't have this problem with my first two pregnancies.

Thank you.:)
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Feb 22, 2008, 06:39 AM
    I have a friend who is pregnant with her 4 th child she is very tired and has not put on any weigh but the doctor told her that the reason she has not put on weight is because the baby is eating from her and she is having a big baby bigger than her last he was 10lb 5
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Feb 22, 2008, 11:39 AM
    I was also exhausted in the first trimester of my pregnancy. Since your doc put you on some meds you should be able to eat better, but if it's still a problem try some ginger or some pregnant pop drops (you can get them at any maternity store). It's just little candies, and they really helped me out. When you are eating make sure you're taking in lots of healthy foods. Get plenty of protein. I'm sure that snaking on fruits would help with the lack of energy as well.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Wife was wiped out in her first tri... every night for a couple of months shed come home, crawl into bed and watch crappy TV... and my wife doesn't spend time in front of the TV watching nonsense.

Her friends were all confused as they were not told until she was closer to 4 mo along... so they wondered why in the world was she suddenly talking about all of these bad TV shows. She was drained all the time... this from a woman who had been running 5 miles every other day and was in the best shape of her life before pregnant.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 02:14 PM
    You might want to talk to your doctor about the possibilities of having Hyperemesis Gravidarum. I think it's a lot more common then most people realize. (I wrote some info on it, under Hyperemesis Gravidarum Awareness, on this site, if you want to read up on it) However, I can tell you that I am also pregnant with my third baby, and I am completely wiped out. I am in my third month now, and its been a rough road. I think that a lot of it also has to do with the fact that with the first kids, you tend to get more rest. With your first baby, you can sleep whenever you need to until they are born, and get old enough that you can't nap. With the second kid, you are still more tired, because you can't nap a lot(unless the first one is napping too) and you are chasing a little one around. With each kid you have, it gets more tiring, as you have so much more to do, and less time to rest. Also, your body gets that much more tired out with each kid, as your muscles are more lax, and you feel every ache and pain earlier and deeper. It is definitely a good idea to keep yourself hydrated, and keep taking those prenatals. (drinking gatorade/powerade is ideal, as it contains electrolites, vital if you vomiting, having diahrea, or just not being able to eat/drink well) I am starting to get little bursts of energy here and there, as time passes. So, as you get farther a long, there is hope ;0) good thing these kids are so worth it, right?mainly, just do the best you can with the eating. The baby will take everything it needs, directly from you, so try not to worry too much. Good luck, and hope all works out. OH, and the brain fog, definitely normal for pregnancy, ESP if you are exhausted.
    CMM_Kaleido Posts: 77, Reputation: 8

Feb 22, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Regarding your concerns about baby getting enough nutrients if you aren't up to eating much (but are taking a prenatal vitamin), this is from the Mother of All Pregnancy Books by Ann Douglas (copyright 2002):

"...in most cases, morning sickness is far harder on the mother than the baby. If your baby had to rely on what you were able to keep down on a meal-to-meal basis, there might be cause for concern. Fortunately, Mother Nature in her infinite wisdom has prepared for just such an emergency by stockpiling nutrients in your body. So even if it's been a couple of weeks since you were able to stomach anything more exciting than soda crackers, your baby is still dining away on nutrients from all the multi-course meals you enjoyed during your pre-morning sickness days."

Here are some tips from the same book for reducing morning (all-day) sickness. I have paraphrased some of them to save space:

1. Eat smaller meals--empty stomach can make nausea worse.
    2. Don't overeat (this doesn't seem to be your problem though).
    3. Don't have fluids at mealtimes. However dehydration can cause nausea so make sure to drink at other times.
    4. Eat something before you get out of bed in the morning.
    5. Don't take your prenatal vitamin on an empty stomach. It can trigger nausea.
    6. "Choose stomach friendly foods--yogurt, low-fat and high carbohydrate foods."
    7. "Avoid hard-to-digest foods like sausages, onion rings, and other fatty fried foods.
    8. "Experiment until you find foods that appeal to you.. . "
    9. Don't eat foods that make you gag just because they are good for you. "It's better to survive on crackers and rice cakes alone than to upchuck all the nutrient-rich veggies.. . "

The book suggests finding odors that you like and cling to them--carry a lemon slice around in a bag with you and sniff it to help settle your stomach.

During my second pregnancy I didn't eat real well during the first or second trimester because, 1. I didn't have time and 2. nothing sounded good. I stuck to the things I liked at the time. Mostly frozen peaches and peanut butter.

Just a note about the Gatorade--some people think it has too much sugar and sodium to drink too much of when pregnant, so try to stick to water or ask your doctor if it's OK. I am not a big fan of water personally so I usually flavor it with a little fruit juice or have seltzer water (NOT club soda) with a little juice.

A note on the weight gain--some women do lose weight instead of gaining during the first trimester. Just keep your doctor informed about your nausea and together you should be able to make sure it doesn't get out of hand.

I can't imagine being pregnant right now with these two little ones to take care of, so my hat is off to you.
    stormey44 Posts: 380, Reputation: 3

Feb 23, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Hi I am in the same boat I am pregnant with #3 one that is 3 and one that is 1 so I stay very tired and sick and also very light headed my doc told me to see if a family member can watch the kids for a half hour a day and take time for self or for a nap and it worked a little but its hard to have a family member come over everyday because my husband works a lot but when they do I def enjoy it so good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

4 weeks pregnant confirmed but not feeling pregnant [ 22 Answers ]

I'm 4 weeks pregnant started bleeding yesterday but it stopping now the problem is I'm not feeling any symptoms but then again I'm only 4 weeks are they to start around 10 weeks before my mood was at a high like I've never fely before my appetite has gone over the last few days but that might be...

Pregnant agen or still pregnant? [ 4 Answers ]

Please help! Had a misscariage 4 weeks ago and now have a positive pregnancy test result, my belly feels bloated and breasts feel tender all the pregnant symptoms but if I was less than four weeks would I be getting these feelings or is it possible I didn't have a misscaraig and am still...

Am I pregnant? [ 6 Answers ]

Sorry for being the millionth person to ask this question! I have read the sticky posts above, not to mention almost every other article on the internet and yet, here I am. Here's the story so far: June 21 - 1st day of last period after stopping the contraceptive pill (in order to try to...

How to get pregnant [ 20 Answers ]

How does a women get pregnant? Does the sperm go up her folullopian tubes even though she is a virgin? Can you get pregnant without ever having a penis inside a vagina.

I'm exhausted! [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 9 mnth old baby girl who will not sleep at night! She used to sleep great, but not anymore! I have her crib beside my bed and that's where she sleeps. I still nurse her, so if she wakes in the night, I put her in bed with me to nurse until she falls back asleep, then put her...

View more questions Search