Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carebear86 Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Feb 20, 2008, 11:49 AM
    New relationship and I am very confused.
    Hello Everyone!

I am new to this site, but needed some advice so I was redirected and here I am!

I have been single for a good 2 years, prior to that I was in a 4 1/2 relationship. I ended that January 2005. Ever since then I've dated here and there, but nothing serious. Now, I started talking to this amazing guy and we hit it off great! He is now my boyfriend and everything is perfect. My problem is that I keep comparing him a lot to my ex of 4 1/2 years. Is that normal? Also, I think I am so out of the loop in being in a relationship that I sometimes get too control-ish or I think he isn't into me anymore. Like for example, yesterday I'm guessing that he was having a bad day and wasn't responding to me like always and I started overanlyzing why he's acting different. Help, please!

Thank you. :)
    ihatewestseneca Posts: 325, Reputation: 67

Feb 20, 2008, 01:49 PM
    What happened to end the last relationship? Did you learn why it failed, and how you contributed to it's demise? If it ended because you were controlling, then perhaps you didn't try hard enough to mend your ways to make your current relationship better.

And you should just be yourself, maybe yesterday was just a bad day, every relationship has bad days.
    JerseyGuy Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Feb 20, 2008, 02:23 PM
    You have to remember that the new guy that you're with is a different person and that he may not react the same way as your ex used to when there is something wrong.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 02:43 PM
    You may not be as over the ex as you think, and may still have personal issues to deal with. How long have you known each other, and how old is this relationship? On the surface, you may have jumped in with someone you haven't taken the time to know, as well as you should, that's why the questions.

Feb 20, 2008, 03:00 PM
    My ex and I broke up because he was jealous of everything I did and I couldn't deal with it any longer. I am completely over him. I mean I will always care for him because he was a part of my life for such a long time but I have no feelings and maybe I made myself sounds wrong. I don't have controlling issues, I just left like maybe he thought that, that's why he was a little hesitate yesterday about speaking with me.

And yes, I know my new boyfriend is new and we both have to learn from each other.

Thnk you guys.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Feb 20, 2008, 04:04 PM
    In the simplest terms, focus on yourself and enjoy him. Dating requires you to maintain independence, and for your happiness from day to day not to depend on what he's doing, or how he feels about you. Spend time with him when you are both free, and enjoy the time. Have a positive mindset. If you aren't confident he's committed, don't have sex with him - just common sense stuff. Don't move in with him unless you are married or at least engaged. Keep your friends around you, talk about something other than your relationship. Men are interested in interesting women, and if your entire focus is them, you ruin what they liked about you to start with.

Even in a marriage, you have to view that other person as a separate and independent entity and it takes a long time to figure out the ways you conect.

Feb 26, 2008, 01:08 PM
    UPDATE! ****

We are doing great. I learn something new everyday, but hey who doesn't? Thank you all for the advice. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confused about someone I just met while being in a 5 yr relationship [ 1 Answers ]

Well, I have been dating my boyfriend for over 5 years and he is the best person I could ever ask for. I am deeply in love with him yet our relationship has been strained due to long distance. I recently moved from my home to go to graduate school, where my boyfriend and I shared a place before he...

Confused in my relationship [ 12 Answers ]

Sorry for the long story, but I feel that I should explain as much as I can to clear everything out. I've been dating this girl for almost five years now and honestly our relationship has gone through tough times this last month. I'm 26 and she's 24. We used to think that we have a pretty...

About my relationship [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: hello my name is Georgia. I wanted to know why is it me and my boyfriend keep on cussing and we use to live peacefully

Confused about my relationship [ 3 Answers ]

My guy and I have been together for over 4 years. We have a daughter and are expecting another baby in Sept. We are not married. He is a catholic and has been for a long time. He and his ex were married in a catholic church. They got divorced and have 2 children together. He also has another child...

Confused relationship [ 14 Answers ]

Two years ago I met this girl with two kids we hit off real good for the first year.now all the sudden she sleeps on the couch by herself and not in her bed with me.she says it is not me its is her.she was drinking everynite at first thenwanted to have sex all the time.I don't think she ever been...

View more questions Search