Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ShankerXV Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 08:35 AM
    Still being served a summons
    Ok so here's my situation. I owed Capital One about 6500 dollars. They got a law firm, Rubin and Rothman to contact me. He said if I don't pay by a certain date then they will proceed with the motions and something. He also said if I don't pay by friday(back in January last month) then the motion would continue. So we made a date to pay by the 25th of January. He said he needed a bank account on file to stop the motion, so I gave him it. Money was collected on the 25th( we made an agreement for 5500) February 5th, I received a summons dated for the 23rd(2 days before payment was suppose to be withdrew directly from my bank account). I called the law firm, they said it's normal, it's already cancelled and I can disregard it. I called civil court on the 19th and they said that the case is still open and I should still answer it. I called back the law firm, and they said that before the 25th of this month I'll get papers saying the debt is settled. The thing is that's 2 days after the deadline I have to appear in court. Are these people telling the truth? If I don't answer the summons, does this mean they can take even more money? The law firm said they wouldn't do so, but it's fishy. I asked how come the case is still open yesterday, and they told me the procedure takes time and doesn't happen in 2 or 3 days, but it's been 2 weeks since I asked about the summons I received! I know it doesn't take 2 weeks to enter a stipulation to withdraw a summons does it? What should I do? I have 2 days left to do something only. Please advise.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Do you have a written agreement that you settled for $5500 or are they going to say, no, you owe them $6500 and have paid $5500 - ?

If you don't get a notice that the hearing is cancelled you are going to have to appear just in case -

Feb 20, 2008, 10:51 AM
    They said I will get the papers before the 25th, and that I can disregard the summons. They said that a judgment will not go against me, it just won't happen. I owed 6500 originally, we made an agreement to settle it for 5500.
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ShankerXV
    they said I will get the papers before the 25th, and that I can disregard the summons. They said that a judgment will not go against me, it just won't happen. I owed 6500 originally, we made an agreement to settle it for 5500.

Written or oral agreement?

Feb 20, 2008, 11:41 AM
    It was oral over the phone. I am reading the summons and the date to that they put it in to court was the 14th, the day we talked on the phone I believe. Could there be some truth to it?
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2008, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ShankerXV
    It was oral over the phone. I am reading the summons and the date to that they put it in to court was the 14th, the day we talked on the phone I believe. Could there be some truth to it?

I think unless you get a definite answer you are going to have to go to Court just to protect yourself.

Hopefully it's a mistake and the law firm is just slow with the paperwork but I don't think you can take a chance.

Feb 20, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Yeah, it's just with work and school it's very hard. I read the date on the summons, it was done on the 14th, but filed on the 23rd, so I sort of do believe it takes a long time. I'm not too sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being served a summons [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know how a person is served with a summons for child support. Would it be mailed to his home or would he have to be served in person? Does it have to state on the support summons how this was done?

Served with Summons [ 3 Answers ]

I was served a summons from a lawyer. It has to do with collections of a credit card debt when I was laid off work 5 years ago. I have not paid on this in 5 years. The summons does not have a court date. It just says I must reply. Is there a certain way to respond to a summons? Do I need a lawyer...

How do I respond to the summons I just got served? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've received a summons 2 weeks ago from a law firm representing CACH in Colorado (Melissa A Ferris, Orlando) esquire. In doing the follow up research I've checked the cleark of county court website and there is indeed a suit. Also I called the CC company and they gave me the date they sold...

Served a summons or not? [ 9 Answers ]

The people who live in my old house accepted a summons for me. They told the server that I don't live there and I am no relation. The people who now live in my old house called and told me they left the summons. They told the server they didn't want the papers because they don't know me. The server...

Being served a summons [ 1 Answers ]

Can I be served a summons when I am in another country?

View more questions Search