Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kim Edgecomb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Poly cystic overies
    I just saw the show with Dr Oz in regards to a question asked from the audience. This very brave woman stood up and advised of the abnormal amount of hair on her face. She too had been diagnosed with PCOD. Dr Oz mentioned that there are other medications that can be used instead of Birth Control pills, which I can not use. PLEASE PLEASE help me with the other meds that could be used. I was on Spironlacto for a few years and had fair results with that. I would try the laser treatment, but can not afford it. My insurance says that its "Cosmetic" I guess they don't have a clue!!
    Thanks so much
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 06:14 PM
    I'm not aware of any medications that will stop the hair growth once it has started. The only methods I know of to get rid of it is either electrolysis or laser hair removal.

I know that there are other meds that can be used to help treat other PCOS symptoms. Check out SoulCysters.com: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Treatment & Resources for more info.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Feb 20, 2008, 09:48 PM
    Metformin in polycystic ovary syndrome: systematic...[BMJ. 2003] - PubMed Result

Metformin and glitazones: do they really help PCOS...[J Fam Pract. 2007] - PubMed Result

PCO syndrome is associated with diabetes or a high risk for diabetes.
    Metformin may be a good alternative if you have diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance [ and good kidney function ].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Poly cystic ovarian syndrome [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone my name is Judith Grissam my husband and I have been trying to conceive for over a year now I have poly cystic ovarian syndrome and I was wondering if anybody out there has any information that could help us we would greatly appreciate anything. So far we have tried almost everything...

Cystic Fibrosis [ 2 Answers ]

I know that genetic selection only results in healthy embryos being implanted into the uterus, but does it also eliminate those embryos whom are 'carriers' of the disease too? Thank You

Determine the possibility of cystic fibrosis [ 5 Answers ]

I'm a carrier of the disease, and one uncle and cousin have it within my family. My fiancé has a sister that has it as well. What is the likelihood that if I marry this girl my children would inherit cystic fibrosis?

Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 22 and I have PCOS, so I know I'm going to have fertility issues. It makes me really sad knowing that I might not be able to have my own children because that's one of my biggest dreams in life. I was just wondering if anybody has this here and has successfully had children?

View more questions Search