Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chiro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 05:41 PM
    Civic Blown Fuse Or Relay Won't shift into Drive!
    97 Civic-Car Starts-Can't put it into drive-Blown Fuse or Relay?

My '97 Civic starts right up, however…… Can't put it into Drive!
    (Yes I know that I need to step on the brake!)
    Here are the details; 1- When I depress the thumb button on the shifter the relay clicks at the ignition switch, will not shift out of park. 2- The following gauges are out; A-Fuel, B-Temperature, and C-Tachometer. 3- The following indicator lamps are out; A- SRS and B- ABS.

Note: Coincidence probably but……SRS lamp had been on for over a month. Brought car into dealer to have new Michelins put on and have the SRS checked out. “Error Code 08-5 for Internal Failure of the SRS Unit - Needs Replacement” was found. I chose to wait on replacing the SRS Unit, approximately $ 800.00 parts and labor to replace. Not in budget at the time.

One week later and less than a hundred miles, the above symptoms occurred when I tried going to work one morning.

I've checked all fuses that I can find, all good. The rest of the electrical system works fine, head lights, brake lights, turn signals, radio, heater fan, interior, etc.

History Note: About to years ago someone attempted to steal the car. The ignition lock was damaged and replace by a dealer.

***What do I need to fix or replace in order to restore the gauges and be able to shift into drive??

***While we are at it…. Can I test the function of the SRS unit myself and/or replace the SRS unit and find one for less than at a dealer if I do need to replace it?

Great car, low miles, ultra clean, no rust, brand new tires! Just having a bad day!:(

Thanks for any help.
    stinkypete Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 01:03 AM
    To bypass the shift lock---stick your key into the funny looking slot next to the gear lever shifter.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2006, 07:18 AM
    Hi,
    With all these problems, I definitely would not take it to a Dealer Service Department; unless there is no other choice.
    My own car, a 2000 model, was acting like the engine was "missing". Took it to a reputable garage mechanic who does repairs for half the cost of a Dealer. He found a "Critical Bulletin" on a "sensor" part for the transmission, but his computer could not "call up" the bulletin. Ford would not allow anyone else to have it... only Dealer Service Departments. In this particular case, the cost to fix it by the Dealer was ridiculous.
    I suggest taking it to a reputable garage, checking with someone in your local area about where to take it. Then, if they can't fix it, you are stuck with the Dealer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 Honda Civic fuse problems [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to get a 1990 Honda Civic to run. I am looking at the fuse panel under the stearing wheel. There is no cover. I am missing 6 different fuses. I think one of them might be to the fuel pump. Can any one tell me what amp fues goes in each slot, and which one goes to the fuel pump?? Where...

3 amp fuse blown [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Gas Furnace that is blowing the 3 amp fuse for the secondary 24 Vac. I have replaced the fuse and after the heat is on for awhile the fuse will blow and then I have cool air blowing. Please advise on how to troubleshoot problem.Thanks

AC not working-Thermostat fuse blown? [ 3 Answers ]

I was in my basement tonight where my furnace and blower unit is located. I heard a small click and saw a flash of white light out of the corner of my eye. Not knowing what it was I inspected the furnace, water heater, etc. I then noticed that the air did not kick in. I checked my bnew Carrier...

95 civic AGC fuse problem? [ 8 Answers ]

Please help. I have a problem with the AGC fuse blowing in the panel under the dash. Every time it blows the car shuts off. I have replaced the ignition control module, coil, cap and rotor but it works for a while and then it blows again. Can anyone HELP?

View more questions Search