Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Feb 19, 2008, 09:11 AM
    What are the implications for America?
    Fidel Castro is stepping down, and it looks like his brother's going to take over. Here's the story I saw: Castro resigns as Cuba's leader - Focus on Cuba - MSNBC.com

So what might this mean for America in the short and long term? Do you think that free travel will be a possibility?

Most importantly, will we be able to get the cigars now?
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 09:35 AM
    I don't expect much change between Americas' and Cuban Policy anytime soon.

“Bush, traveling in Rwanda, pledged to “help the people of Cuba realize the blessings of liberty.””

Now I wonder just what Bush has in mind…
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Feb 19, 2008, 09:38 AM
    I heard on the news this morning that Raul wants to sit down at a table and discuss Cuba's future with some Americans. The Americans Raul would talk with don't include anyone in the Bush administration.

If McCain is elected, he might not be interested in talking with Raul. Seems he still remembers Cuba's involvement with the North Vietnamese in the torturing American POWs.

For the time being, you'll have to continue getting your Cubans in the same old way... smuggling them back from other countries. But, in my opinion, it is only a matter of time.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 11:14 AM
    I think the embargo needs to be rethought. We trade with China so trading with a communist threat is not a viable argument. I think Cuban freedom will be realized .But if we wish to have an input about the direction of the country post- Fidel then we should think in terms of countering that idiot Hugo Chavez in the contest of influencing the future of Cuba.
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Feb 19, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Unfortunately, US politics seems to play a part in it at well. Strong Cuban vote in South Florida that both sides pander to.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 05:05 PM
    So, what is the best way to handle a nest of hornets?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 07:26 PM
    The people who supported all of Fidel's cruelty and crap are mostly dead. What should we do now?

The Cubans who sneak into the USA are human beings, aren't we?

Maybe politics goes right over my head, that's why I'm asking.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 05:46 AM
    “Bush, traveling in Rwanda, pledged to “help the people of Cuba realize the blessings of liberty.””

Now I wonder just what Bush has in mind…
    McCain and Obama and Evita all issued staterments saying that Cuba should release political prisoners and cautioned that this transition does not usher in Cuban freedom .They all called for Cuban democracy.

I wonder what they have in mind ?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2008, 06:05 AM
    I do not see a change in the immediate future. Raul is cut from the same cloth. Yes, the embargo should end. Who do embargoes hurt the most? Not the politicians.

Cuban democracy, Tom. That is an oxymoron, isn't it?
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Cuban democracy, Tom. That is an oxymoron, isn't it?
    I wouldn't know . It has never seriously been tried.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Negroponte has already said "I can’t imagine that happening anytime soon," in regard to lifting the embargo. Personally, I think a few McDonald's in Cuba are just the ticket. In addition to a good dose of what America has to offer countering Hugo's influence, it would really annoy Fidel's Hollywood buddies. :D
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    McCain and Obama and Evita all issued staterments saying that Cuba should release political prisoners and cautioned that this transition does not usher in Cuban freedom .They all called for Cuban democracy.

I wonder what they have in mind ?
    Just look at that … Obama is already getting people to agree and reach across Party lines.:D
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 09:09 AM
    I guess there are a few things that are such no brainers that even the Democrats get it. :D

Feb 20, 2008, 09:36 AM
    A glimpse of free enterprise had a bit to do with the eventual downfall of the USSR, in my opinion (too bad it's not having the same effect in China... ).

I just wonder what the harm would be in lifting the embargoes, encouraging free travel, and the like. The tourist industry alone would bring millions per year into their economy. Remember the heyday of Cuba--pre-Castro? It was a pretty nifty vacation spot, from what I've read. Only a 90-mile boat ride from Florida, it could offer cheaper alternatives to the present Caribbean vacation options, and do much to encourage Cuba's entry into the markets of the Western world. I see it as no-lose, but then again, I ain't a card-carrying commie, either.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 09:49 AM
    President Bush said the leadership move represents little real change and that the United States should continue with the same Policy……………….Do you suppose he thinks the Policy brought Fedal down.

Feb 20, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Do you suppose he thinks the Policy brought Fedal down.
    Surely not. At least I hope not. "The Policy" hasn't done squat.

I don't know much about the brother--haven't had time to do much homework on him. However, I hope after Fidel assumes the ambient temperature that brother might be open to some positive change.
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Maybe that is one of the “Changes” Obama is talking about.:p

Feb 20, 2008, 11:12 AM
    OK, did a quick read on ol' Raul Castro.

This guy appears to be a scumbag of the lowest order. I could be wrong, but it appears that he is the one that recruited Che, and he seems to be very friendly with Hugo Chavez.

Not good.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 01:26 PM
    You guys have to know there is only one way to deal with a communist who occupies the government; I wish this were a lead-in to a joke, but it isn't. When they are willing to walk away, like they did in the USSR, that's one thing; but you can't negotiate with someone who says, "You are a nothing and you own nothing". They live in their own fairyland. What are you going to negotiate: 1/4 a property right? 1/2 a property right?
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kindj
    OK, did a quick read on ol' Raul Castro.

This guy appears to be a scumbag of the lowest order. I could be wrong, but it appears that he is the one that recruited Che, and he seems to be very friendly with Hugo Chavez.

Not good.
    Yep, Raul is beholden to Chavez for propping up the economy, he's installed his military buddies in positions to back him up, and if he fails to toe the communist line there's apparently some young hard liners behind them the Cubans "affectionately" call "los Taliban."

There is actually a law passed in 1996, the Helms-Burton Act, that prohibits normalizing relations with Cuba in any transitional government that includes Raul or Fidel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRS tax implications after a bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

I went through a bankruptcy this past year, lost my job and had loans out on my 401k, can I be taxed on the loans that I defaulted on to my 401k?

What are the US tax implications of an L1 visa? [ 2 Answers ]

My company is applying for an L1 visa for me (the first time my company has done this) so that I can come and go to the US intermetently for the next 2 years to work on a project. I will continue to be resident outside the USA and all of my remuneration will be outside the USA. Do I continue...

Renting tax implications? [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to determine the feasibility of renting the house I own, given the tax/mortgage implications. Any help here would be appreciated! -I live in the state of MA. I believe I would have to pay tax on my rental income, could someone provide more details on that? e.g. my current monthly...

View more questions Search