Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angie343536 Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Feb 19, 2008, 02:13 AM
    What would you do in this ethical situation?
    Ethics Discussion:
    Rachel works in a real estate office that is equipped with up-to-date copiers, scanners, and printers. She is frequently the only employee working in the evenings and often has spare time to do personal work. She has begun to use the office equipment for her children's school reports and for her husband's business. Do you think Rachel's use of the office equipment is harmless, or is she behaving unethically? Why? If you believe her behavior is unethical, what controls could be in place to prevent it? Have you ever used office resources for personal tasks? Under what conditions could such use of office resources be justified?
    DeniseAL Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Feb 19, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Most copiers have a counter feature on them. You could write down the number on the counter at the end of the "day" shift and then again in the morning. Once you establish a pattern of how many copies are made when she is there you would have some ammunition to question her. And yes, her behavior is unethical. That's not to say that most companies don't expect a few personal copies here and there, but if she is using equipment extensively and especially for her husband's business, that is clearly unethical
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Many companies allow an unwritten perk to use company copiers for minimal personal use. But using it for her husband's business goes over the top.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Unethical.

Many companies now have passwords in place for copiers, printers, and scanners. At the end of the month, or week, or whatever, the supervisors of different areas look over the numbers, and if any seem excessive the employee is asked to justify the numbers with work output.

An ethics hotline, where someone could report misuse anonymously, is also a very good way to have people able to be held accountable by their peers.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Feb 19, 2008, 02:13 PM
    I agree: unethical. I will occasionally ask my boss if I can make a copy of a bill or something like that. I work in a small business and everyone is very informal, and the boss told me it was OK to do this when I started as long as I asked her. But I think using equipment without permission, especially if she was using it a lot, is wrong. And using it for her husband's business is definitely not right.

At my last job, we did have to put a password on the copy machine because someone kept using it. I worked in a leasing office of an apartment community. Several employees lived at the apartment complex and everyone had keys to the office. We never did figure out who is was, but the boss set it up so that you had to use a password to turn it on. It worked. Whoever kept using it after hours stopped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ethical practices [ 7 Answers ]

What is the relationship of constructive ethical practices to organizational performance?

Ethical First Aid [ 3 Answers ]

Okay I have an assignment in my intro to anatomy and First aid class. I keep looking at it and I could use a little help with it. Not explicit help but a little guidance would help. Here's the assignment: Scenario: You and your friends are on your way to the mountains for a weekend camping trip...

Ethical issues in accouting-stating what the ethical thing to do is. [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: Ethical issue: the tobacco companies have paid billions because of smoking related illness. In particular, phillip morris, a leading cigarette maufacturer paid over 3 billion dollars in one year 1) Suppose you are the CFO (Chief Financial officer) responcible for the...

Ethical issue [ 2 Answers ]

CAN ANYONE HELP? Python.com owes $6 million on notes payable that will come due for payment in $6 million on notes payable that will come due for payment in $1.5 million annual installments. The company has used its cash to advertise heavily in the competitive dotcom business environment. The...

Ethical challenges [ 1 Answers ]

What are some of the ethical challenges faced by civil investigators and how do they differ from agents of the state?

View more questions Search