Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amanda49058 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 01:09 PM
    Removing wallpaper
    I recently bought my house.we are slowly remodeling the all the rooms.one room has wallpaper.it looks really old.I have no idea how I should remove it.a friend told me I could use fabric softern mix with water.is this true?I pull at the wallpaper there seems to be no other layers of wallpaper.any help hints would be great.:D
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Jan 23, 2006, 04:55 PM
    When removing wallpaper in our house, we used warm, soapy water in a spray bottle. Sprayed it on the wallpaper, let it sit for five minutes (keep spraying if it starts to dry out), and then peel it off in great sheets.

If the wallpaper itself is shiny and repels water, you'll have to do it in two steps. The first step will be to just peel off the shiny layer, exposing the paper underneath. Then, when you soak the paper, the glue will loosen.

Depending on what's underneath the wallpaper, you may want to pick up a plastic scraping tool. It's the same kind of thing as you'd use for applying drywall compound, only made of plastic. I found that it was great at scraping off the gluey paper.

Once you're done all of that, the walls are likely to require a couple of good washes with soap and water before you start prepping for paint. Good luck with the renos!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2006, 07:00 AM
    Scoring the wallpaper first helps a lot. Use a tool like this.. . or even a razorblade will do. It lets the moisture get down behind the wallpaper to speed up the loostening of the glue. Once scored, then sponge or spray it down, as described.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jan 24, 2006, 09:50 AM
    DIF enzyme
    A few years ago I removed some stubborn wallpaper with a product called DIF or DIFF. It can be purchased at Home Depot. You mix it with water and spray it on. Perforating the paper is a great idea as previously posted. This enzyme eats the wallpaper paste. Good luck.
    msubaseball1 Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Jan 26, 2006, 11:51 AM
    All of the above tips work great!! The only difference from me is the water based solution I use. I mix HOT water and vinegar...
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Feb 7, 2006, 04:50 PM
    DIF works great, especially with hot water. Just put down a plastic tarp or sheet as you work to catch the drippings. You may have to go over it a few times. The scoring tool helps to get the product underneath, but if you are not very careful, you'll score the drywall or plaster as well. If you are going to paper again , this won't be a problem.Wash the wall as it becomes exposed with warm water to remove the remaining glue. Be prepared for surprises under wallpaper. Ya never know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wallpaper removal [ 2 Answers ]

I've recently removed vinyl wallpaper from my kitchen walls. It all came off beautifully, but now the walls feel bumpy from what I assume is the glue. I've tried to wash it off, but it just feels slick and sticky and dries bumpy again. Any suggestions? grace1

Stubborn Wallpaper [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into my house about a year ago and I've almost finished renovating all the rooms except the kitchen and dining room. I've decided to start this week and my first task is removing a wallpaper border. I used a scoring tool and then used a mix of hot water and Poly-Peel to loosen the...

Removing old old old wallpaper [ 6 Answers ]

I am remodeling a condo I recently bought. The wallpaper is old and double layer. The wallpaper glue under the base layer is about 2mm thick and won't come off. I have used hot water spray, wallpaper enzymes and elbow grease. The wall board paper is coming off in chunks. Any suggestions...

Wallpaper Problem [ 1 Answers ]

:(... Hi... I have the Windows 2000 Professional. The Internet Explorer and I am on AOL... The pics that I have chosen for my wallpaper (all from the movies.. my hobby), are piling up on my Desk Top and will not rotate or change. I have many of them. They are forming a collage on my Desk Top. I...

Wallpaper removal [ 1 Answers ]

I've already peeled the top layer of the wallpaper off and am left with the paper backing. I've tried DIF concentrate mix, letting it sit and resoak twice, I've tried the DIF gel, letting it sit and then I tried straight vinegar. Nothing seems to be easily taking the backing off, in addition...

View more questions Search