Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Feb 18, 2008, 11:14 PM
    Using Fiber Optics with a Remote Control
    Sorry for the category placement, I couldn't figure out for the life of me where to put it.

I have a small production studio in my house that, along with much professional equipment, includes some high end, but consumer, VCRs and DVD players. I need to be able to control this equipment on a rack about three feet in front of me, but if I use the supplied remote control, it will also operate ALL of the other Panasonic equipment, or multiples of the same equipment.

There are two Panasonic VCRs and two Panasonic DVD players. I want one remote to be "dedicated" to each device, without operating the others.

Would using "fiber optic" lines from the infrared light on the remote to the sensor on the VCR work? Is there such a thing and where would I obtain this?

Thank you for your help.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Feb 26, 2008, 01:03 PM
    You can find this type of item in the woodworker suppliers. It is for mounting your components into a cabinet and bringing the remotes out to an accessible location without having to open all the doors.

Rockler specializes in cabinetry hardware and has one for $14.99.

Details for Hidden Link, Micro Link and Micro Link for Plasma TV - Rockler Woodworking Tools

You can locate the receivers where they will not interfere with each other.

They also have a good variety of the nifty popup power distribution centers as well.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2008, 01:40 PM
    That's the Xantech.com stuff, re-branded. Ir works nicely, but is a little pricy.

I think I know what I might do. It's very possible that the Xantech emitters could be hardwired to the remote in place of the LED. I've installed one of their systems and I may have an emitter at home.

Polarity can be found out easily. The only real trouble is whether they put a resistor in the assembly. I don't think so.

If you want to test, get the cheapest universal remote that will control your equipment. Remove the LED in the remote. Connect a Xantech emitter and see if it works. If it doesn't reverse the polarity.

Then try to make the change with a panasonic remote.

Feb 26, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Thank you, that's exactly what I'm aiming for. The problem with the transmitter is that it will still supply the same signal to ALL of the devices. So even if I hooked up a Panasonic remote to the system, it would still transmit the signal to both DVD players or both VCRs, therefore still activating both at the same time, rather than individually. Does that make sense?

The only thing this seems to accomplish is transmitting a signal beyond a barrier, such as a cabinet door.
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2008, 02:48 PM
    No!!

Their complete system, which this is only a part of, is too expensive. Xantech Plasma Proof Hidden Link Tabletop IR Sensor - 291-95
    They may have one that's not resistant to CFL's, Plasma, etc.
    This could sit in fornt of every remote.

This was the only part I was thinking of using. This would go only on one device, but you need many systems, so the cost would be rather high. If the remote could use this directly, by modifying the remote, your there.

Feb 26, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Ahhh OK I understand. That's an excellent solution. I'll have to look into pricing to see if it's a possibility financially. Good to know something is, indeed, out there.

Thanks for your help.
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2008, 02:54 PM
    I didn't get to edit before you responded. This was the only part I was considering using. Mini Stick-On Infrared / IR Emitters, Bugs & Blasters

Check your Private Messages.

Feb 26, 2008, 03:48 PM
    OK... thanks. Why should I check my Private Messages? There's nothing new there.
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Oops. Sent the message to the wrong person. I resent it.

New information.
    The parts necessary are:
    291-10 receiver about ~$40
    282-00 Emitter ~6.00
    CB-12 Connecting block ~12.00
    9V power supply 9V 300 mA

You may be able to use only one power supply, but you will need one of each of the other items for each of the IR remotes.

I checked the IR emitter and it looks like the barrel of the plug is negative and the tip is positive. On the LED in the remote, you will notice that one side has a flat. That is the negative side.

It's extremely likely that just the emitter can be used in place of the LED in the remote control.

So, this gives you a destructive and a non-destructive way of accomplishing what you want.

One of the things about the emitters is that it doesn't shield a regular remote from working. The IR signal passes through the case of the Xantech emittter.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Feb 27, 2008, 07:54 PM
    It looks like KISS has you on the right path. I am adding the following information merely to make your mouth water. We use an AMX at work for our Video Conferencing room. It handles all of the room controls, multimedia equipment, cameras and computers. It uses the infrared remotes to individually control each piece (even though some have the same program remote type) by the wireless AMX touchpad.

AMX.com - Products

Feb 27, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Yeah I've seen places that use technology like that. It's quite amazing how everything can be so integrated. I wish I had the money! LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Remote Video/fan Remote Control [ 16 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Video & Fan Remote Control (Model #UR8050T). It has been working fine for about 2 years until it recently began malfunctioning. It still operates the television, but the use of the fan/light features has stopped working. It will not turn the fan on or off, and the light is...

How to change ceiling fan remote batteries on a hamilton bay remote control unit [ 3 Answers ]

Before I break the darn thing, can you tell me if the back panel comes off or if I have to unscrew the top and bottom screws?

Remote control [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Bro I did like you said but still getting err And just a little confusion about password Can we givit any ? -u said when remote DT window popups givit server IP Are you sure it will be server IP the computer which we are sitting on ? Or the client ip ( which we want to access by lan ) ? ...

Remote control [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get the original remote for trinitron 36" kv-35v36 ?

View more questions Search