Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Casmanifest Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 10:29 AM
    Kansas Rental Law
    I rent a house from a private landlord and just recently found out that the roof in one of the rooms leaks. Unfortunately, I found out by discovering my $2000 keyboard soaked and destroyed after a rainstorm. I'm curious if there is a liability law stating that my landlord will have to cover the damages. Or should I not waste my time and just file a claim with my renters insurance.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2006, 10:56 AM
    Kansas rental laws.
    Here is a link

http://www.rentalprop.com/ltlaws.htm

What does your lease state ANYTHING about the roof, if anything??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2006, 11:01 AM
    Normally
    Normally unless he was aware of the problem and did not disclose it to you, there would be no claim against the landlord. You do need to read the specific lease you have or rental agreement ( and no one should ever rent or lease without a written agreement) and see what it says.

You have two issues, first is the landlord going to fix the leak, so further damage to items will not happen. And second of course is the damage to your property.

If this is merely a leak that just started due to a new storm or wind in the area and there was no leak before and the property is fairly well maintained I doubt if there is any liablity on the landlords part.

If there is of course the insurance company will try to collect the money from him after they pay you. So I would fle with my insurance and if they can collect it back from someone else they will.
    Casmanifest Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2006, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    here is a link

http://www.rentalprop.com/ltlaws.htm

What does your lease state ANYTHING about the roof, if anything???

No my lease is a basic and general rental agreement. There really isn't anything in there about damages to the propery outside of the checklist completed at the commencment of the lease, which does not include the roof damage. I know that it has leaked since before we moved in, by the looks of it. I unfortunately just didn't notice it until now. I know for the landlord to be liable I would most likely have to prove neglect. So I'm curious if I got a contractor out to the house to inspect and state that the roof has been leaking for quite a while... would that be enough for the proof of neglect on his part, considering the building is not, and has not, been up to Kansas State Housing Code?
    Also, I've written a letter stating everything that we would like fixed and notifying him about the damage to the keyboard. Is there anything that I can say in the letter to avoid having to go to court, without comprimising the "business" nature of it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rental [ 2 Answers ]

I didn't realize that all we had to do to remove tenants at will was give them a 30 day no fault notice to quit with no reason. Instead I stated that my children will be moving in. Now I would have to have a good reason if I was taken to court why they didn't. What would be a sufficient reason...

Rental Fee [ 2 Answers ]

Once upon a time (last April 2005) I looked at an apartment and thought I really liked it. (It was a September rental and we were on top of things) So my roommates and I paid the fee to hold the apartment so nobody else could rent it for the time being. 2 days later after a little more research...

Kansas State Renters Law for Renters [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Lenexa, Kansas a part of Johnson County Kansas. I need to know What the law is governing renters rights when it comes to repair of things Like garbage disposals etc. I also need to know if it is a requirement of the Law to have shades or blinds furnished by landlord or if this is the...

Rental Laws [ 25 Answers ]

What are the legal do's and don't of a landlord ? Can they enter your apt. anytime they want without your consent ?

View more questions Search