Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anys9 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2006, 09:55 AM
    Windows updates for Windows ME
    For months now I can't get windows updates for Windows ME. I just get 'can't find server'. Neither Microsoft nor BT. Can help me. I've tried everything I can think of. I have a BT.Yahoo browser and I.Explorer 6. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 23, 2006, 11:32 AM
    Where are you getting this error message ?
    Is it from the link in the start menu or the updates link in IE ?
    Have you tried going directly to the update page via Google ?
    Can you surf normally OK ?
    Have you tried clearing your internet cache (cookies, temp files and history) and following the link again??

These should give you some ideas.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 23, 2006, 11:51 AM
    ME Updates
    Averil,are you saying that you cant find ME update on the MS site,even though you've contacted MS?
    Or are you saying,MS is not offering you any more updates? :confused:

If you want updates for ME,but for some reason MS are giving you the run-around,try these links:

http://www.comusolv.com/updates/me/c...l_security.htm

This link above will show you all the critical and security ME updates available.

Then go to:

http://www.comusolv.com/updates/winME.htm

Then go to other other patches and updates,then Internet Explorer updates,then accessories and have a look.

Please don't ask me,what files,or updates are already installed on your PC,as you will have to find out yourself.If your unsure ask someone you know,who can help you,but dont simply install anything,as you could/will,make a critical error. ;)

Personally,I would have stuck with Windows 98 SE,as it's far superior than it's later sibling,ME.Or if/when funds allow,try and upgrade to XP.

Jan 24, 2006, 09:43 AM
    No w;indows update for WinME
    Thank you, I've tried to get through to windows update every which way including MS, no joy. I've looked at the sites you mention and I can't get any of the items listed as I can't get through to windows update. (I did try.) So the situation is mysteriously hopeless.

I'm planning to buy a CD of WinXP online and trust it will not wipe out my personal files if I put it in the slot and let it run - to overwrite the WinME, if it will do this. Or would this be a bad move?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 24, 2006, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Anys9
    I'm planning to buy a CD of WinXP online and trust it will not wipe out my personal files if I put it in the slot and let it run - to overwrite the WinME, if it will do this. Or would this be a bad move?
    Just make sure you get the Upgrade CD and not the full product. You shouldn't have a problem. But you should back up important data files just in case.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 24, 2006, 05:38 PM
    Have you tried reinstalling IE ?
    Here's how to do it

AS the last update was March 19, 2003, you may already be fully up to date and not able to access the update site because of this.

Jan 28, 2006, 10:32 AM
    Thank you, I'm not going to reinstall Int.Explorer, having spent 2 days trying to make the NetProtect firewall work as per BT tech.help by reinstalling it & the antivirus program 3 times. No use, just back to square one. So I shall try to get hold of the update windows XP disc, can no longer put up with WinME. It's all been a useless hassle. Cheers, Anys.
    LeeAnnMemphis Posts: 58, Reputation: 6

Jan 28, 2006, 11:02 AM
    I don't know much about computers, but I use them all day. Our office recently THREW AWAY every machine we had that ran on Windows ME. The computer guy at work said that ME is the worst windows ever put out by Microsoft, it was out for a very short time, and they have stopped putting out any updates, etc. for ME cause it is basically hopeless. He also said it is a waste of time to try and put newer versions of windows on the PC- he went into the details why but it was way over my head. The fact that an accounting office, (who are notoriously cheap) considered these machines a lost cause and spent the money on all new machines meant to me that Windows ME must be pretty worthless.

Jan 28, 2006, 11:30 AM
    Many thanks LeeAnn, I shall bear what you say in mind before buying anything else. Meanwhile I have a laptop on XP which seems OK.
    Cheers, Anys.

Jan 28, 2006, 12:36 PM
    Leeann,good call by your office.ME was/is "the worst OS ever released by MS".Origionally code-named "Neptune",it was to signal the end of the X9 OS,but delays,and the continued working of NT5 (Windows 2000),led to it's cancellation.Then in 1999,MS decided to release Windows 98 Third Edition,but they called it Millennium.New deskface,same old useless code.It was/is bug ridden,prone to misbehave,and generally was/is an embarresment.MS should simply have done nothing,until the release of Windows 2000.The trouble was,MS could only see the money sign in their eyes,and the rest,as they say,is history.
    Bluehazel1953 Posts: 74, Reputation: 8

Jan 28, 2006, 02:07 PM
    I'm flipping glad my old Pc is hidden away behind the settee, if it could see what people say about Me it would be mortified. I used it for over four years and it was no bother at all. The only time I had to have someone in to it was in the first year when it was still under warranty and the cd rom drive went king ****. I accept that Me does have a bad name, but, that was my first PC, so do you think I just got used to all its tantrums and sulks etc. getting used to XP now, but, old faithful is sat there just waiting. I conclude the defence M'lud. DavidB.
    Bluehazel1953 Posts: 74, Reputation: 8

Jan 28, 2006, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehazel1953
    I'm flipping glad my old Pc is hidden away behind the settee, if it could see what people say about Me it would be mortified. I used it for over four years and it was no bother at all. The only time I had to have someone in to it was in the first year when it was still under warrenty and the cd rom drive went king ****. I accept that Me does have a bad name, but, that was my first pc, so do you think I just got used to all its tantrums and sulks etc. getting used to XP now, but, old faithful is sat there just waiting. I conclude the defence M'lud. DavidB.
    Why has the word after King been censored ? Another name for Richard. Common saying in UK. DB

Jan 28, 2006, 05:09 PM
    David.It is very rude in software controls,to use the name "Richard"? I think it's just keywords in the core-code,and nothing personal.He,he.
    Not going to argue over ME,as I've spent nearly five years trying to get XP up to scratch,as well as doing battle with Linux. :D
    Some people,like yourself,seemed to have got away with it,where as others "shot it" after a few months.I hated it,but that is just my opinion.If MS had done their homework,and just concentrated solely on "Project Neptune",then maybe I would be toasting Redmond,rather than moaning.
    Just wait till you see Vista. :(

Jan 28, 2006, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeAnnMemphis
    I don't know much about computers, but I use them all day. Our office recently THREW AWAY every machine we had that ran on Windows ME. The computer guy at work said that ME is the worst windows ever put out by microsoft, it was out for a very short time, and they have stopped putting out any updates, etc. for ME cause it is basically hopeless. He also said it is a waste of time to try and put newer versions of windows on the PC- he went into the details why but it was way over my head. The fact that an accounting office, (who are notoriously cheap) considered these machines a lost cause and spent the money on all new machines meant to me that Windows ME must be pretty worthless.
    While I agree with the computer guy about Win Me, I'm not sure I agree that trying to recover those PCs was a waste of time. If a PC came with Win Me, then it most likely could run Win XP. Wiping clean the hard drive and starting from scratch should not have been too hard. On the other hand, most businesses consider the effective life of a PC at 3 years. Since its likely the PCs were older than that, I would suspect the age was more of a factor then Win Me.

Jan 30, 2006, 11:16 AM
    Thank you for the info, Nez, - I'm holding back a little till I'm absolutely certain I'm doing the right thing to buy the XP Upgrade and not the full package. I can't transfer XP from my laptop as that disc seems to be made only for the laptop. I certainly have wasted many hours with this wretched ME and am forever running its ScanDisk to repair errors.

If I tell you something which you will call really old schoolmarmish I hope you will forgive me. An easy way to distinguish between 'its' and 'it's' is the substitute test. If you can substitute 'it is' in a sentence instead of 'it's', as in 'it's a good day to go out', then use 'it's.' If you can't substitute 'it is' as in 'the dog is in its kennel,' then use 'its.' Gets rid of that annoying apostrophe: so your sentence would read... 'led to its cancellation.' Best wishes, Anys.
    unclejohnny Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2006, 02:11 PM
    Does this mean that since I am downgrading from 2000 Professional to ME I will have a lot of trouble with ME? I have several games that won't run, not enough money for XP, and an old IBM PC300GL with 3.93 GB hard drive.:confused:

Mar 1, 2006, 04:30 PM
    If you are downgrading I would go to Win 98SE and not Win ME.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Windows On Mac [ 2 Answers ]

How To Put Windows On Mac?:D

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Windows XP [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about Windows XP. I'm wondering if I have to update all my software/hardware if I install windows XP. My present version is windows 98 Second Edition. My software/hardware includes OmniPage Pro 9, Epson 1660 photo scanner, a Samsung web camera, a Samsung printer, Sound...

Windows Updates for XP [ 2 Answers ]

How are you able to get a complete printout of your Windows Updates Installation History? All I can seem to get is only one page of history which doesn't show them all. Thanks, John

View more questions Search