Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luvmydoxie86 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 08:19 AM
    Pumping breast milk
    I am 30 weeks pregnant. My breast are so full that they leak. I have recently bought a breast pump, I plan to pump exclusively. I have read about storing breast milk.
    Can I begin pumping now?
    If yes, can I store what I pump, or is this not the kind of milk that the baby will need?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 09:20 AM
    Yes, you can begin now. But this far in advance, you'll want to freeze it.

Here are "rules of thumb" for storage times:

* At room temperature (less than 77°F) for 4 to 8 hours
    * At the back of a refrigerator for 3 to 8 days
    * At the back of a freezer for up to 3 months

... and here are some helpful links:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
    luvmydoxie86 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 09:59 AM
    ??
    What am I producing now? Is it milk?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 10:46 AM
    I am sorry. I see now that I jumped too quickly - focusing on the storage time and not the real issue.

Prior to birth, it's not "normal breast milk", but mostly Colostrum (which the baby needs for the first few days".

It is birth that triggers the hormones that cause you to produce milk.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 11:12 AM
    As a previous poster said it is colostrum. More here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colostrum
    daehnolem Posts: 61, Reputation: 12

Jan 23, 2006, 12:07 PM
    Besides your milk being colostrum now, if you start pumping now, you could stimulate labor. You should see your lactation consultant to find out what you can do that will relieve the pressure in your breasts without inducing labor.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 25, 2006, 05:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmydoxie86
    What am I producing now? Is it milk?
    Dear, there are many more sites, and your doctor should explain this question to reassure you of any fears and/or anxieties that you have. Don't just go for the regular visit and leave with questions still unanswered. Remember, no forum or other sites should take the place of your doctor who knows you and your development best.

www.askdramy.com The U.K. online doctor.you can post on a forum, or 'ask the Dr. Amy' with a click. The FAQ Tab on the homepage is also a good place to click and has a lot of good subject matter. P.S. Most of the articles are printable in PDF format.
    Good luck, and keep us posted.

Don't hesitate to post if you have further questions, but make sure your doc knows all of then and answers them to your satisfaction.

Happy Parenting!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bananas and milk [ 32 Answers ]

I just had this weird memory of my bio mom feeding me a chopped up banana in a bowl, sprinkled with sugar and milk poured over it, like cold cereal except minus the cereal. I've never eaten this as a teen or an adult, and I forgot all about it until just now. Is this something that other people eat...

Saving breast milk [ 8 Answers ]

Is it possible to save breast milk after it has been given in a bottle feeding? Sometimes my granddaughter leaves an ounce or two in the bottle and I hate to throw it away. Must I?

Milk Production [ 6 Answers ]

Just wondering if anyone has had this experience. My females teets are getting big. She had puppies 5 months ago, and they had almost gone back to normal up until she went into estrus. They usually get bigger after a heat cycle then go back down. She was in heat about 4 weeks ago they never really...

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why [ 1 Answers ]

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why?

Got Breast Milk? [ 2 Answers ]

This is a little embarrassing. My boobies are feeling heavy and swoll up. Im also leaking fluid from them. There is no way that I am pregnant because I have not been sexually active in 3 years. My children are both also 5 and 6 years old. Is this my body trying to tell me something? Maybe Im...

View more questions Search