Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aaaadrenaline Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Fill W4 Form in OPT status
    Hi everybody,
    I like this forum:) very much and so this is my first question... :confused: .

I am on Optional practical training status and working . Can anybody please tell me how to fill "Personal Allowances worksheet" on W4 form?:confused: I mean I am confused what allowances I can claim.
    My details
    I am on my OPT
    Single and only one job
    Nobody can claim me as dependent
    I am not going to claim anybody as dependent

The one more question is for claiming as "head of household" I should claim somebody as my dependent? :confused: In this case I can't claim anybody as my dependent so should I put 0 in "head of household" claim?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Claim SINGLE with ONE exemption.

You are NOT ELIGBLE to claim Head of Household.
    aaaadrenaline Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Claim SINGLE with ONE exemption.

You are NOT ELIGBLE to claim Head of Household.
    Thanks a lot AtlantaTaxExpert. I really appreciate your help specially after waiting long time.
    But I was under impression that I can claim TWO exemptions on my W4 form.:rolleyes:

1. One for " If no one else can claim you as a dependent"
    2. Second one for " You are single and have only one job"
    (These are the first two options (A & B) as they appear on "Personal Allowances Worksheet)

I qualify for these both options. So can I claim for 2 exemptions? :confused:

I would really appreciate if you help me with this as soon as possible.
    Once again thanks a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to fill Form 8843 for F1-OPT-H1? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I moved from F1, then was on OPT and finally on H1. I have figured out that I am a non-resident alien for tax purposes. But there is very little instruction for filling Form 8843. Q1) Since I was a student on F1 and then was on OPT, should I fill both the Trainee part as well as the...

Opt- H1, what form I need to fill? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I really confused about what form I should fill. I came to US in Aug, 2001 as a F1 student; I worked with OPT from Oct 1, 2005 to Sep 30, 2006, then I change to H1 Until now. I am married. Do I am in dual-status, or I should fill the 1040-NR, or 1040EZ? Thanks lot

Which form to fill on OPT but approved H1 starting 2006 [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I am a international student from India. I was working on OPT from Oct 01 2005 till end of year. I filled for my H1 on 18August2005 and it got approved sometime in Nov2005 with the start date for H1 as 12 Feb 2006. Now which form do I need to fill?? Can I still fill the 1040NR-EZ and take both...

Dual status. What to fill in form 1040 NR [ 1 Answers ]

Dear AtlantaTaxExpert, I was on F1 for 2001 and mid 2002 for the duration of my MBA. Left the US by mid 2002. Moved to Europe and worked there for 2003, 2004 and the first three months of 2005. -In April 2005 I quit my job and came to the US on holidays for 45 days. Left the US for a couple of...

What form should I fill out while I am working under OPT? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to USA for my Master degree in 2003 Aug as a F-1 student. Now, I am working in NJ under OPT. Any body can kindly tell what form I should fill out regard tax? Following is the information about me. - came to USA for study on 2003 Aug (F1 visa) - single - no depedant - no mortgage...

View more questions Search