Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davum16 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 11:34 AM
    Removing a self closing door hinge
    I want to temporarily remove a self-closing door hinge (to install a dog door). Is there an easy way to do this without removing one half of the hinge from the door or jam (like removing the pins on standard hinges)? There are a couple of allen screws in the unit (one on top, one on the bottom of the barrel). I'm guessing that one or both of these will need to be removed to take the door off the hinges, but wanted to ask before taking it apart.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 05:57 PM
    What you are referring to as allen screws is probably the tension adjustment. You stick a allen wrench down in the top and engage the mechanism inside. You turn counter clock wide to increase tension. You press down and let mechanism spring back to release tension. The hinge however does not separate like a regular hinge.
    davum16 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    What you are referring to as allen screws is probably the tension adjustment. You stick a allen wrench down in the top and engage the mechanism inside. You turn counter clock wide to increase tension. You press down and let mechanism spring back to release tension. The hinge however does not seperate like a regular hinge.
    Thanks hkstroud. That's what I discovered upon turning the top allen head. I decided to just cut the hole with the door in place. A bit messy, but I didn't feel like removing the hinges from the jam (there are actually two on this door). Thanks also for confirming they don't come apart in any way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag freezor door opens when closing refrigerator [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maytag MTB2156GE refrigerator that is around 4 years old. Every time the refrigerator door closes the freezer door seal pops as if a puff of air has opened it. If closed slowly it reseals if not it pops open. I have cleaned the seal and it looks in good shape and seals well. ...

Removing inside of door refrigerator [ 3 Answers ]

I Need To Remove The Inside Panel Of A Sided-by-side Refrigerator To Work On The Water Valve Of The Indoor Water/ice System. How Do I Remove The Seal (I See No Screws Like There Used To Be)? Is It Glud On And If So How Do I Repace It When Im Finished?

Closing the door [ 1 Answers ]

I have remained consistent in believing my ex and I still had a chance, he changes his mind constantly. He still loves me and I still love him. In relationships, when you are not dating, but love each other, how often does the door get closed and you never end up together.

View more questions Search