Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjdenton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Payroll taxes
    How do I record the following transaction in a journal entry? ADP ran our payroll, they did not pay any of the payroll taxes. I know that I need to post the gross wages to the wage expense account the taxes withheld from the employees to the payroll tax liability account. My question is what do I do with the employer portion of the payroll taxes that ADP withheld from our account in the following month.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 01:24 PM
    The extra taxes are going to be some form of tax expense to the company. I don't know whether they're lumped together in something like "Payroll Tax Expense," or whether they are separated into FICA Expense, FUTA Expense, etc. And then, just like with the deductions, they're put into the same type of liability accounts.

All of the taxes or other deductions and expenses are due to some place, whether they were deducted from a check or whether they are extra expenses to the company. i.e. if you have a FICA Payable account, both the deducted part and the employer's matching part would end up in that account. Because they're all due and have to be paid in the future.
    MaggieMouse Posts: 226, Reputation: 8

Feb 20, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Dr. Payroll Tax Expenses
    Cr. Tax Payable

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Payroll taxes [ 1 Answers ]

We submit our payroll to a payroll company. I have been asked on numerous occasions to not take federal and state taxes out for an employee for a specified pay period. Our software allows us to do this, but I do not know if it is lawful. Is it okay to not deduct taxes once or twice a year?

Payroll taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... Ive started a small business.. I was under the WRONG impression I could 1099 my 2 guys as casual labor... That didn't work out so well! I have recently fired one such person for insubordination,unexcused absences and being late repeatedly. So he goes to the unemployment office and signs right...

Payroll taxes [ 2 Answers ]

How do I calculat employer payroll taxes? I have no idea where to start.:confused:

Payroll Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

New to working in NJ and am unfamiliar with their tax lingo. What is FICASS, FICAMI, NJ W/T and NJ SUI taxes?

Payroll and payroll taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm completing a project for a high school accounting class. I need to know how to journalize the payment of payroll. I also need to know how to journalize the payment of the payroll taxes.

View more questions Search