Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Danman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 06:29 AM
    Must reset furnace breaker to activate
    I installed a ritetemp digital thermostat and appear to have 2 problems. 1) I’m not getting any ac to the thermostat, so it does not activate the furnace. I know I need to check the 24v transformer and common per the other threads. But, if I go to the circuit breaker panel and reset the furnace (80 amp) breaker, which is not tripped, everything comes on and works normally until the next heating cycle when the same symptoms appear. 2) I noticed that my heat pump breaker trips occasionally and I need to reset it a couple of times before it will reset. Any ideas?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 10:54 AM
    Maybe wheatbarley left this one because he didn't know the answer. Maybe I should too. Still, a couple of questions. The system was working right before you changed thermostats? If it takes batteries, are you sure you have good ones in it. Does the new thermostat have a B or C contact, and if so, is it connected to a blue or other wire going back a B or C contact? Last of all, did the instructions describe hooking it up to a heat pump and any special procedures for one? Sometimes I manage to help people figure out things I don't know the answer too.
    Danman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 01:30 PM
    Labman,

Thanks much for the quick response.

The system was not working before I changed tstats (used to have a digital Hunter tsat – and constantly saw the “NO AC POWER” warning flashing on the tstat screen). I do have fresh batteries installed. The new tstat has a C terminal and I have connected the blue wire from the furnace to it. I also have black and brown wires – the instructions said to leave those disconnected and so I have. There was nothing specific about connections for a heat pump – I did verify that the tsat is compatible w/2-stage systems. Don't know if this helps clarify my problems (well at least those related to the furnace!)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 01:47 PM
    If the old thermostat wasn't working either, that makes it more likely the problem is with the system or the connections and not the thermostat. If you do not have 24 volts at the R and C connection until you reset the system, the problem is in the system, not the thermostat.

The 80 amp breaker suggests to me it is a heat pump with resistance heat back up. They can be wired for the system or the thermostat to control the back up heat. If the thermostat controls it, it may be W1 and W2. A heat pump also needs signals to switch modes. Often that is an orange wire connected to O or O/B. The system could have a schematic showing the connections needed for the mode control. If the directions say nothing about a heat pump, that thermostat may not work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Activate Windows XP Home [ 11 Answers ]

Recently installed Windows XP Home edition ON work computer Do not have Internet world wide web access Receive prompt Have 11 days left to activate Windows XP What will happen if I do not activate

Does anyone care about this, 'click to activate and use this control' [ 3 Answers ]

It appear on all object such as flash, media player... We all know that it is a security feature but so far, it's very unconvinience. Can we get rid of this and are they about to make it another way?

Fan reset [ 1 Answers ]

My condenser fan went out a couple of days ago. I prelaced the motor and the fan. I did not replace the capacitor. The motor will not turn unless I push the fan, then it runs, until the unit cuts off. I believe this was the original problem that caused the motor to burn out. What would cause the...

Remote does not activate fan [ 1 Answers ]

We have a one year old Hampton Bay 3 speed fan without a light. The remote battery was changed and it worked fine. Now it will not turn on even when we change speeds manually and then try to turn it on with the remote. Can you override the remote and just turn it on with the chain?

Heating reset [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a problem when ever I start my central heating after sometime it trips and I have too reset it by pressing the button on the thermostat chamber but after sometime this show red light again i.e it stopped Please help how to fix it and why I have to reset it so many times Thanks

View more questions Search