Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needyone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Lying and stealing
    I have a 12 year old son that constantly lies and steals from his parents. We have tried many ways to stop this behavior but he just continues. Is there and help for this type of problem? There has been two occasions where he stayed over at someone's house and items got missing and we believe that he took them. We have no trust in him what so ever. Can you help?:confused: :confused:
    Da Bigchamp Posts: 360, Reputation: 18

Feb 18, 2008, 08:12 PM
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, how about beating his a s s. No ones too old to get a beating from his parents. (believe me I know)
    giani513 Posts: 179, Reputation: 47

Feb 18, 2008, 11:54 PM
    Scared straight programs where they go to jail and talk to prisoners, or if you know police officers or sheriff deputies, you could have you child spend some time in a holding cell to see what prison would feel like.
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

Feb 19, 2008, 12:19 AM
    Has anybody sat down and talked with him yet? One of the most effective ways to deal with a senior preteen would be to have the people who have fallen victim to this behaviour there for the confrontation. It gives him a chance to say sorry, it allows him to be embarrassed for what he has done and take full responsibility. It also allows people to tell him how it affected them, and what these trust issues have cost him now ( No more sleep overs at Jimmy's house).
    But I think being in a room with so many disappointed people that he has let down for doing something so very worthless, it should stop this behaviour. At twelve I never valued trust until I stole my dads special coin, I bought candy with it. I still feel bed after he told me how it hurt him... Good luck
    Da Bigchamp Posts: 360, Reputation: 18

Feb 19, 2008, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by giani513
    Scared straight programs where they go to jail and talk to prisoners, or if you know police officers or sheriff deputies, you could have you child spend some time in a holding cell to see what prison would feel like.
    O yeah I did that to my little cousin who used to shoplift and steal, except he didn't know it was a scared straight program. I hired some people I knew, one was a cop, and one was a friend. My friend the cop came and arrested him and took him to a multiple people jail cell, then my friend pretended to be a gangster and started messing with my cousin. All the while I was actin' like I was trying to get him out, and then when I thought he had enough I got him out. To this day he thinks he actually went to prison. He hasn't shoplifted or stole anything since that experience. It is definitely something I would recommend.
    ARTFXU2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2012, 09:31 AM
    I have a similar problem and my som is now 17. He really did not start lying and more recently stealing until about 3 years ago. He was so good at the lying I was the only one that believed he was doing it. He is a spiritual, sweet hearted boy who is very immature, childlike. He does have a conscience, however, he believes the embellishments he uses to sell his "version of the truth". He has struggled in school, ADD and more recently diagnosed with A form of OCD. The is a link. It is not simply a story of poor character, I am convinced of this. As a mom whose journey is unresolved as my son reaches adulthood, I want to say... I sympathize. Love your son,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have issues lying and stealing and my parents don't trust me now. [ 7 Answers ]

I have had a lot of trouble ying and stealing lately... I have been caught twice and I am addicted to lying, I just can't seem to stop. Does anyone know how to stop this?? I have such a hard time resisting the urge to lie or steal and can't seem to break the habit even though I really want to....

Compulsive lying and stealing no hope? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I am eve33, I joined this site for answers of questions that I have carried with me since 7 years ago, deal with a child that is my biological son and realizing that the problems he is having even today has or had nothing to do with me. I have come to terms that anything that I have tried,...

Stealing [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 21 she was a good kid I have found out she has been stealing money from my sister she is not on drugs and knows she can ask me for money and I never turn her down she has been lying about a lot of things and I don't know what to do I told her to leave my house and she has...

Stealing from employer [ 5 Answers ]

I'm in the UK and I'm so stupid... I stole £1300 (in a period of a month) worth of credit vouchers (its like a receipt for a refund if the person doesn't have a receipt to begin with) and spent a lot of it on god knows what, but, most importanly, I stole from my employer - It's a very big company...

Stealing [ 3 Answers ]

Does the on-site manager of an apartment complex have the legal right to move my property without giving notice that the property is in the way of other tenants? Can they legally CUT A LOCK to move a bicycle when I was never notified that such action would be taking place? I am the one with the...

View more questions Search