Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NP2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 08:47 AM
    Taxes at Austin TX USA
    Hello Friends,

I'm planning to come to Austin TX by Mid May 2008 on a L1 Visa category with my wife and 6 1/2 years old son. My possible Package is 77K per annum.

In order to plan my expenses would like to know the following from my helpful friends in this community.

1. What are the taxes that I will have to pay from my Income? Please provide Value or percentage wise.

2. What tax benefits could I obtain, when my Wife is not working and having a 6 year old kid?

3. What period and how should I file taxes?

4. Where can I obtain this tax filing service? And how much will it costs?

5. I will be living on Rent in an apartment, can I get the tax benefit due to rent?

Thanks for all your kind guidance.

best regards,
    np
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 12:10 PM
    1) You are liable for Social Security (6.2%) and Medicare (1.45%) taxes, plus the federal income tax which starts at 10% and tops out at 15% for your projected income.

2) You will be able to file jointly with your wife and you BOTH choose to be treated as resident aliens. This will allow you to claim a joint standard deduction of about $11,000 PLUS thre personal exemptions of $3,500 each PLUS the $1,000 Child Tax Credit.

3) You will file for Calendar Year 2008, and you MUST claim income earned while in India. However, you may be able to avoid taxes by either claiming the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) or the Foreign Tax Exclusion.

4) Visit the website link below.

5) None, as your job is NOT considered to be temporary in nature by the IRS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Usa and indian income for taxes in usa [ 2 Answers ]

Myself and my wife are green card holders .my son,a us citizen gifts us some shares which we sell from time to time and use proceeds for our personal expenses.This totals around $11000 for 2006. In addition myself and my wife have indian income mainly from dividend and interest and also income...

Taxes in The USA but Real Estate in Italy [ 7 Answers ]

I have my only income in The USA. I have H1B VISA. In the last days of 2006 I bought a house in Italy and my parents are leaving there. There is a mortgage on the property for an amount less than 80% of the value of the property. I know that I can deduct the interests in the form 1040. But...

Exemption in taxes for dependents outside USA [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I belong to India and have a wife and a kid. I am currently on a L1 visa here in USA. I have applied for a dependent visa for both my wife and kid so that they can join me here. Their visa will be processed and stamped before mid-december this year but they would be able to join me here...

Texas (Austin) Rental Agreement [ 5 Answers ]

Heya, To avoid emotional content, just read the question in 'blue' below. I recently vacated an apartment in Round Rock. We scheduled the and executed our final walk-through with a property representative and there weren't any documented damages. We handed in our keys and left the property...

USA/Italy treaty for taxes?. [ 3 Answers ]

I have an Italian passport, and I am now working as an opera singer with a O1 VISA for a couple of months in a major Opera Company in USA. Two questions: What's the roof of gross earnings for not being taxed when they will pay me at the end of the gig? I just got the "allowance" cheque for...

View more questions Search