Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cloetila Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Leaking drain valve on water heater
    I have a slow drip on the drain valve on my water heater. We've flushed the water heater about a month ago, but now we have a very slow drip from the drain valve. It's dripping at a rate of about 2 cups a week, no matter how tightly we turn the knob on the valve. Any ideas?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 18, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Any ideas?
    Yes. The valve is called a "boiler drain" and most heaters come with a plastic valve. Yours has some crud caught in the seat. I would replace it with a brass one. Shut the power off to the heater, attach a hose to the boiler drain and drain it down. Unscrew the old boiler drain, Teflon tape the threads on the new valve and removec the old and install the new. You should flush, (not drain) you heater to remove any mineral build up. Let me show you how.
    For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 09:52 AM
    If you ant a quick fix, get a hose cap. Hose Cap, Polymer

Speedball is 100% correct. The plastic boiler drains are scary at times and they seem to have small openings. I replace them too. There is always the possibility for crud to mess up the seat especially if it's not flushed regularly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Leaking Water Shut Off Valve [ 4 Answers ]

The main water shut off valve inside the house is leaking. How do I shut off the valve "outside" the house so we can work on fixing this? The house is 16 yrs old. This is the original valve. Would you estimate that this is a simple washer problem? Or is this best left to a professional...

Gas water heater pressure release valve leaking water [ 14 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a slight issue with my gas water heater. It's a AO Smith 32.75 gallon type. All of a sudden, water is coming out of the relief valve pipe. I have placed a coffee can there, and I have to empty it out every few hours now. Im not sure where to turn for this one, as I have...

Water supply valve leaking [ 3 Answers ]

Friends- I asked about water supply valve leaking a couple of weeks ago. Just got to repairing it. With some difficulty I got the packing around the stem and wonder of wonders the valve does not leak. Thank you. However, when I turned on the water supply to the house (There was no other turn...

Water supply valve leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Friends- An indoor water supply valve to an outdoor spicket is leaking around the base of the stem when I open the valve to use the outdoor faucet. Is it most likely from a deteriorated washer or O-ring? Is this corrected by turning off the house water supply, opening the outdoor faucet to...

View more questions Search