Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soccerbabe13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Marrying a felon
    If I am a lawyer and I marry a felon does it have implications?
    Dana2007 Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Feb 18, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Is the felon going to run off with your money? If so, then of course.

I can't be honest around here because then I get people offended.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Are you, as this supposed lawyer, involved in his case or any of his cases? Are you already implicated in any of his dealings? What do you know about him and his criminal past? Would you, by marrying him, not be called for testimony?

If I were a lawyer I would not marry a felon. The water gets too muddy.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Hello babe:

Everything you do has implications. What particular implications are asking about?

Will it have any legal implications? No. Will your friends hate you? They might? Will you be invited to be partner in your law firm? Probably not. Will you be held up as a modern day example of tolerance by the left? Sure. But, that won't pay you a nickel.

excon
    Dana2007 Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Feb 18, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Dear excon, honey,

I am way too honest for the taste of this website.

Most likely won't see me around much longer. I came here to say hello to you and to find out what people were saying about a woman and a black person running for USA president.
    katrina27 Posts: 92, Reputation: 13

Feb 20, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerbabe13
    If I am a lawyer and I marry a felon does it have implications?
    No, once your not involved in a case involving him your OK.
    Also if he is reformed character, good luck to you both. I believe in 2nd chances
    susangpyp Posts: 258, Reputation: 73

Feb 20, 2008, 01:05 PM
    I am a lawyer and I suggest you check the ethical rules and ABA rules that apply to your jurisdiction. You probably won't find anything unless you've represented him. But on a personal note, why would you want to marry a felon (lawyer or no lawyer)?
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by susangpyp
    But on a personal note, why would you want to marry a felon (lawyer or no lawyer)?
    Haven't you ever heard of giving people a second chance?
    susangpyp Posts: 258, Reputation: 73

Feb 20, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom
    Haven't you ever heard of giving people a second chance?
    Well I was asking why she was considering it. I have no idea how recent this felony was/is. It could be in the distant past. I don't even know what felony it is. It could be something horrible or something stupid.

For me, and this is for me, I don't want to be involved with someone who has committed a felony. It's a character issue and it's a standard of mine. I can't imagine someone ever being able to overcome my bias about that. I don't need or want someone with a record. Been there, done that... got over it and developed this standard since my ex's felonies were a good indication of his moral bankruptcy (the law calls it moral turpitude) and I was "in love" that I chose to ignore it and it came back to haunt me. He acted in accordance with his prior felonious acts. He made excuses, rationalized and did things as he pleased. Not everyone's experience, but it's mine and I've seen it with other people too.

It's not a set in stone thing but I was wondering why she would.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 01:26 PM
    I think I would have to know a lot more about this fellow, before I can give advice, which leads me to why are you considering him as a partner, and what did he do? And has he reformed, made amends? What has he done to turn his life around? How old are you both, and how did you meet??
    iiLovemusiiC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2011, 12:40 PM
    Im actually considering marrying my boyfriend who is incarcerated right now.Unfortunately in life, we do make mistakes (stupid/bad) and at thimes, they even impact our lives. His situation doesn't define him. For some people, it takes almost a tragedy for them to realize or accept reality. Besides, I love him, and when you know a persons heart, I Pray, their past doesn't affect that person and their significant others future. It shouldn't!Im a criminal justice major, and I yearn to be a successful lawyer! I have faith in my relationship, along with my future

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Marrying a foreign [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I'm couirse about marrying someone from South America, since I'm a U.S. citizen. If I marry a South America, she becomes a citizen and can come home with me?

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

Marrying a felon [ 3 Answers ]

I am a marine and would like to know if there are any implications if I marry a felon, and would that affect my security clearance?

Marrying a US citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a requirement in marrying a u.s citizen? Were planning to marry outside the u.s is there a requirements for my fiancé to marry me here at the philippines?

H1 marrying a F1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on H1 visa and have married a student, who is on F1. She has a job with her university and have made salary reported on W-2. I work in another state and she is studying in another state. I am thinking of filing as married filing jointly for my federal return. Please advice, what status...

View more questions Search