Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lorijjarosz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 06:24 AM
    No compete Clause
    My Husband is in sales for trucking he worked for a company that he had signed a no compete clause, about 10 years ago he has never been compensated for signing this, the original owner died and left the company to his daughter who has never worked a day in her life although she is out fire everybody that does not have a 4 year college degree, and my husband was scared his job would be next, so he decided to start his own business, what can she do or what would happen if she takes him to court for this contract.:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 06:39 AM
    Hello lori:

It's not that simple.

The devil is in the details of the agreement. If the agreement is written such that it effectively prevents your husband from working in his chosen career, it will be held invalid.

If, however, it was written to protect the company from your husband stealing all their accounts, then it probably will be enforceable.

The amount of time he may not compete is the key. A year would be reasonable, in my view. Longer may not. Please understand that a judge may see it a lot differently than I do.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 07:12 AM
    What exactly does that clause state? I have a no compete clause for my job and yet I can quit and start my own business - just do not take my clients with me. Any business I would generate would have to come from people who do not use my current employer's services.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lorijjarosz
    My Husband is in sales for trucking he worked for a company that he had signed a no compete clause, about 10 years ago he has never been compensated for signing this, the original owner died and left the company to his daughter who has never worked a day in her life although she is out fire everybody that does not have a 4 year college degree, and my husband was scared his job would be next, so he decided to start his own business, what can she do or what would happen if she takes him to court for this contract.:

In some States unreasonable non-compete clauses cannot be enforced - it's up to the Court to decide what is unreasonable.

For whatever reason it sticks in my mind that Moore Business Forms was the groundbreaking case - not positive, though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No compete clause [ 5 Answers ]

How do you get out of this so you can work in your field

How To Get Out of A non-Compete? [ 1 Answers ]

New to the site. However her goes: I have a non-compete agreement with the company I work for in Texas. However, it states I was to be compensated for signing it. I found out they have never paid me for it. The company is in bad shape and has created a harsh work environment and our commissions...

No-compete clause vs hobbies [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I started an entertainment magazine four years ago that I sold to another company through a merger last year. The merger didn't work out for me and we're trying to resolve the dissolution. My former partner is being very difficult though and intends to get everything and more. In addition...

Non-compete clause [ 2 Answers ]

If a salesman signed a non-compete clause in the industrial industry 6 1/2 years ago and the contract terms have changed without signing a new non-compete clause is it enforceable? He is not privy to "trade secrets".

Non compete [ 3 Answers ]

How To Get Out Of A Non-compete Agreement.

View more questions Search