Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CatInKentucky17 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 08:22 PM
    PC or Mac?
    Ok, I need a laptop. My desktop is shot and I'm getting ready to move out and start college. I need a good laptop that will last me a long time. I really like the macbooks and they seem like better computers all around. However, all my games are PC and I've never really had any problems with my dad's dell laptop. I'm not sure which I should get, so your input would be greatly appreciated.
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 17, 2008, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CatInKentucky17
    Ok, I need a laptop. My desktop is shot and I'm getting ready to move out and start college. I need a good laptop that will last me a long time. I really like the macbooks and they seem like better computers all around. However, all my games are pc and I've never really had any problems with my dad's dell laptop. I'm not sure which I should get, so your input would be greatly appreciated.
    Some college courses require the use of specifc software that may/may not run on a MAC so I would get a "green light" from the college before purchasing one. In fact, my nephew enrolled in a college recently and they provided him with specifc (minimum) requirements for a laptop.
    Sitwonade Posts: 24, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2008, 01:16 PM
    If you buy a MacBook you can run both OS X and Windows XP on it at the same time so it will still be able to play all your games and run your Windows apps.
    Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Features - Boot Camp
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 28, 2008, 01:23 PM
    As noted the new MACs use an Intel chip so can run Windows and Mac OS in a dual boot setting.

BUT Macs are much more pricey, plus the extra expense of buying a copy of Windows.

I disagree that MACs are overall better than Windows based machines. They do have some advantages, but at a cost.

You should check with your school. The school bookstore often has PCs at discounts for students.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Completely agree to talk to the school to see if they have special deals.

You can most likely get some great savings on software... and often some price breaks on systems.

By the way, what is your major or general area of interest?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Depends what course you do, whether you want something to write essays on or if you are going into a more technical course.

I really regret not getting a mac for what I do now. All the freeware is written for Unix and Linux machines and is difficult/ impossible to run on a PC.

I agree with check with the college, but also check with other students. The 'party line' isn't always the best.

Also check whether the institution has any cheap computer deals/ extra bursaries for buying a laptop. You'd be surprised what you can find if you go looking.
    Mr_am Posts: 105, Reputation: 4

Feb 28, 2008, 08:02 PM
    Close your eyes and go for MAC.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Macs can be purchased with the Windows operating system preloaded. No Mac OS.
    You'll end up with one of the fastest PC's around. Tests have shown that Windows running on Mac hardware runs much faster.

Dual boot is apparently possible as well as emulation (Parallels). It might be difficult accessing files on the other OS partition with some configurations.

Support may be pricey.

Hardware is surpurb. Battery life will be a lot better. The Macbook Air, says up to 5 hours. Not the 1 hour I usually get on a PC.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 29, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Hardware is surpurb. Battery life will be a lot better. The Macbook Air, says up to 5 hours. Not the 1 hour I usually get on a PC.
    You must have an older PC. I got 2-3 hours on my old Thinkpad T42 and my new T61 gives me over 5 hours on the extended battery. Most laptops made in the last 2-3 years will give 2-3 hours on a 6 cell battery and double that on a 12 cell.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 29, 2008, 07:23 AM
    Even my "Beast" XPS M1710 lasts 3 hours on battery.
    The Air, while pretty, is lacking in a lot of the most basic connectivity and data storage.
    NO DVD drive or ethernet.
    Now if you are looking for an Ultra light then the new Toshiba R500 is awesome.
    Toshiba Portégé R500 slimline laptop | Register Hardware
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Sitwonade:
    IF YOU WANT A CITATION ASK FOR ONE! Don't apriori give me a red mark.

If my citation makes what I say true, then you can't recind the red mark.
    What if I asked you to prove my statements false?

What do you want a citation for?

Feb 29, 2008, 08:34 AM
    What do you want a citation for?
    Macs can be purchased with the Windows operating system preloaded. No Mac OS.
    From where? Not Apple.

You'll end up with one of the fastest PC's around. Tests have shown that Windows running on Mac hardware runs much faster.
    Faster than what?
    A) Are you saying Windows runs faster on the Mac hardware than OS X? I doubt that. And how would you test it?
    B) Are you saying that Windows runs faster on Mac hardware than PC hardware? What PC hardware are you comparing it to? Mac's have the same hardware as PCs now.

It might be difficult accessing files on the other OS partition with some configurations.
    This is not difficult for the average person to setup and it works very well and transparently in most cases.

The Macbook Air may be better than YOUR laptop, but many PC's (like Lenovo's entire X line) can last up to 10 hours on battery so this is a misleading claim.

Feb 29, 2008, 08:38 AM
    To the OP: I'm not bashing MacBooks, they are very good computers. If you like OS X, you'll be happier with a MacBook. If you need to run Windows applications, you can do that on your Mac, but be aware that you will need to buy a copy of Windows which may cost an additional $200 (depending on which version you buy).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mac or Pc! [ 3 Answers ]

Im doing a projet on Pc vs Mac and I need to know the advantages of disadvantages of PC and mac

Mac [ 1 Answers ]

Hi To Everybody This Is My First Chance To Be On This Platform The Question Is I Somehow Deleted The Outlook Express On My I Mac And It Had All My Contacts And Important Emails I Am Not Able To Retrieve It Can Any One Suggest Me If It. Could Be Retrieved At All And If Possible How. Thanks ...

Ip vs mac [ 2 Answers ]

MVIJAY What's the exact differnce between IP Address and Mac Address. Through which address the packets are interchanged

Pc or mac? [ 3 Answers ]

Which is better, PC or the Apple Mac? And why?

View more questions Search