Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MsCain_1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 09:41 PM
    Help!
    :confused: :mad: :( I'm a17yr old female who doesn't really want to be at home, I'm staying with a female friend who is 6yrs older than me, my mom knows that I'm safe and doing the right thing and knows that I'm not happy at home, now if I don't want to be home are the police going to make me go home? Remember I'm 17 and 6 months away from being 18. PLease let me know. Thank you!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2006, 10:00 PM
    As of right now... yes. But then, your mother has to call them first.

You say she knows your safe, so is she letting you be?

You are still a child under the law.

You can go to court to get yourself legally emancipated (become a legal adult before 18).

Of course, you won't be forced to go back home if there is a reason. You could go to a group home/social services if you are being abused or something.

And no one can make you stay with your Mom. When/If you go home, you could always run away again.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 22, 2006, 10:21 PM
    What's so bad at home that makes you not want to be there?:cool:
    MsCain_1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 02:30 PM
    No she's not letting me be, I'm not getting abused or anything it's crowded space... I can't even concentrate when I'm there, I don't sleep right and I just feel very anxious to leave when I'm there. I'm not happy there at all.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Jan 23, 2006, 04:19 PM
    Don't mean to be too personal but why exactly are you not happy there? You can talk to us. We will be here for you when you need someone to talk to.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2006, 04:27 PM
    Parents
    Your parents mom ( or dad, you did not mention him) would have to call the police and file a run away or some other form or report

But if you mom knows where you are, and she don't care, and if the people you are staying with don't care, then it will be OK
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Jan 23, 2006, 05:00 PM
    Is it just for a little break kind of thing you want because I ran away and they filed a report on me but it took nearly 18 hours for the police and everyone to get me - it was 12 @ night but still 18 hours is long!
    So if you just want a little break from it all by the time they get you then you may be OK?
    Good luck hope it all works out for you
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jan 24, 2006, 12:50 AM
    Ms Cain1, your parents are responsible for you until your 18. If your underage and you leave home without your parents consent, the parents or person with parental responsibility could go to court to try and force you to return home. I think you should return home and stick it out for 6 more months. When you turn 18 and you still want to leave home, you will have the right to do so. Keep in mind that your parents were probably trying to look out for your best interest. It's going to be tough for you to make it in the world without a good education and job. Parents are usually there to guide their kids and see that they're taken care of. I know that you feel that your going to be legal soon and you can do whatever you want, but you shouldn't cut off ties with your parents. You are still very young, and you will need help from your parents sooner or later, so try to be in good terms with them.
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Jan 24, 2006, 10:06 AM
    What is scarey about going home? You can tell us. Is your personal safety is in danger? Then I would stay where you are and find some other authority to talk to, if not the police than maybe a guidance counselor at school. But find someone who can really help you.
    On the other hand if your personal safety isn't at risk and you only had a fight with your mom or parents then I would agree with Pretty, and go home and work things out. Try and see if you can mke it those last 6mos. Because Im telling you, you don't know how the real world works until your out of the house, fending for yourself. Try to make the best of it if you can and see if you and your mom could patch things up.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 25, 2006, 12:07 PM
    There has too be something that stops you from wanting to go home as bizygurl said please feel free to speak here, no one will judge you or anything people will help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search