Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pearl69 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Painting metal interior door
    I tried to intoduce myself but could not figure out where to go to do so. I am trying to repaint a metal interior door. It is currently white. Is there special paint for metal? I don't want brush marks on the door so do I roll it? If so what kind of roller. Do I need to prime the door first even though it already has paint on it? What kind of paint? Going back with white. Today I ruined the door so I know I need to start all over and sand the mess up I have now. Thanks in advance for some good advise. Jim:eek:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 10:07 AM
    You need to sand and tack cloth the door. I also wipe down with paint thinner. Roll or spray a good quality acrylic enaml paint. Short nap roller will give a very good appearance while spraying can be even better. Do not paint with interior latex paint.
    pearl69 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Thanks, I will try this tonight.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Feb 18, 2008, 06:13 PM
    I can't anything to great advise... ballangerb1... ill say this pearl... take your time with it.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 06:57 PM
    Rustoleum white laquer makes a really nice finish.

Imperfections can be fixed with Bondo spot putty and finally primed with a sandable primer and wet sandpaper. Most of the time will be in prep.

But, you need to know how to spray paint. Do you?
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Feb 19, 2008, 08:13 PM
    I just realized my answer made no sense to me at all, must have been late. What I was saying was... I agree with ballangerb1 on his advise and that's how id do it as well. And the other thing was the key to a good paint job besides the prep work is just to take you time and don't rush.
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2008, 09:30 PM
    glavine:
    Kind of like "Engage brain before putting mouth into gear"

Spray painting is a real art and making mistakes is costly in time.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Whether you spray, roll or brush a bit of this stuff will knock down the surface and make it smoother. FLOOD 0610 ADDITIV PAINT FLOTROL QT
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Feb 20, 2008, 05:55 PM
    If you decide to use spray cans, use several very light coats and the paint won't run and ruin your project. But thats' what I would do. Sand the door down and repair any imperfections with quality filler, then 2 or 3 coats of primer followed by a good ennamel oil based paint, several light coats permitting each coat the drying time needed. If your first attempt failed get some paint remover and try again.
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2008, 07:04 PM
    A "light coat" isn't a coat at all. Initially, all you want to do is to get the paint to adhere, but not cover 100%. The first spray may only cover 10% of a given area. It will have lots of unpainted islands. You let dry, but not too long, and lightly do it again.

The final coat will be at 100% and you have to be careful with runs. You also have to make sure you begin and end your sprays outside of the painted area. Spray only in one direction, such as horizontal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting interior arches [ 3 Answers ]

I am painting my dining room and there arches at each entrance. What color do I paint the arches? The kitchen is darker green and the dining room will be beige (it is currently off-white). Do I paint the arch beige or leave a stip of off white? At the other entrance to the dining room,...

Interior and Exterior Painting [ 15 Answers ]

I am just starting a painting business and I'm trying to figure out how to charge for painting for example a mantle or cabinets. I know wood cabinets will need a primer and two coats of finish. Also on how to charge for windows that have several rows of mulls that need to be painted like a 4 over...

Interior Painting Bid [ 4 Answers ]

I am going to paint the interior of 3 apartments and I want to know how much to bid a 1 bedroom apartment 644square feet? I want to know how much to bid a 2 bedroom apartment 844 square feet? I want to know how much to bid a 3 bedroom apartment 960 square feet? Thanks

Maytag Dryer MD5500-Object Caught in Interior Metal Bar [ 1 Answers ]

We own a Maytag Neptune Dryer Model MD5500 that's about five years old. There are metal bars inside the "tumbler" drum. Each of the bars has open spaces or slats, two at each end. A button or coin has gotten caught in one of those open spaces. This, of course, makes a loud noise when the dryer...

Painting outside metal door with plastic muttens [ 1 Answers ]

Both my front and side doors are metal with plastic mutton bars on the outside. Both doors are currently painted white and I want to repaint them white. I am wondering whether I should paint the plastic muttons or just the metal door. If I don't paint the plastic, it may not be the same color...

View more questions Search