Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susiebrad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 08:56 PM
    Trusts and wills
    Who has the legal right to request to view a trust or will document?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 05:05 AM
    A will: Anyone (Wills are public info)
    A trust: Only those named in the trust as authorized to view. (Trusts are private).

Read more about the differences between wills and trusts here.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2006, 06:16 AM
    Hi, Suziebrad,
    As rickj answered, a Will is public. If you live in the US, and if the Will has been sighed by a judge, you can see it in the local Court House, in the Court Clerk's Office.
    A trust is only viewed by the party(s) involved, and usually through the Trustee.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2006, 09:05 AM
    Will , trust
    First the question will be, has the person with the will died yet? If not you will basiclyneed to ask them, since the will has not been sent to probate court to be acted on. At this time normally only the attorney who wrote it and the person will have a copy of it.

And is this a trust formed from a will, or a trust merely set up by someone.
    So many types of trusts.

If the will is in probate and a trust is being formed by the will though probate, it also will be public record as part of the will.

Do you have, or do you beelive you have a vested interest in the documents, if as in a will, the person has died and the will has not been sent to probate ( and not all of them have to be) you can file a motion with the probate court to have the details of the will disclosed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wills [ 2 Answers ]

I was just wondering what the California law is about the following. After my mother died my ex sister in law at the day of the funeral approached my father to sign things over to her, I believe he did? Then re recently got married and the lady talked my father into signing things over to her. As...

View more questions Search