Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    horse15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Shower Drip - American Standard
    I have an American Standard Reliant + shower head that drips. Have replaced the cartridge & still dripping. Actually water is slowly coming out of the pressure balancing unit even when the water line is shut off. Do I need a new pressure balancing unit? What are the check stops for (one on each side of pressure balancing unit)? Any help would be appreciated.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Hey Horse... the check stops are actually shutoffs... so you do not need to shut house down to work on valve.

The shower head does not leak... the shower valve does.

Some american standard valves have two cartridges (a pressure balancing cartridge and a ceramic cartridge) that can be replaced. The first one is obvious and you said you replaced that one... the second cartridge is under the first cartridge AND under the three screws you should see holding it in. Remove these three screws and pull out cartridge... clean of all mineral deposits.. and try to reinstall ( I like to purge the water lines by pulsing the water for a second or two on each side (cover faucet with rag) to clear lines of any loose debris/deposits).

If that did not do it then remove again and take to the nearest plumbing supply house to get it replaced. That should do it for you.. good luck.

If my answer helped please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 02:41 PM
    I have less experience than MASS with American Standar but I would remind you to grease the valve body before installing a new cartrdige, did you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

American Standard Shower Valve [ 10 Answers ]

I have a single lever (actually a rotating knob) American Standard valve. It's stuck so that it doesn't allow any hot water (cold is fine) to pass. Last time this happened (that was about a year ago -- this particlar shower doesn't get used much), the plumber removed the face plate, took out a...

Installing Hunter from American Standard [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble hooking up a Hunter 44860 thermostat. My old thermostat was an American Standard Thermostat ASYSTAT655A. Any suggestions would be most helpful, Thanks so much! Andy

Rewire older American Standard furnace. [ 2 Answers ]

The man next door had his home heating system updated and saved the old gas furnace to use in his shop. I have helped him run the gas line to the furnace and done all of the venting. It's an older American Standard furnace that's in really good shape with no heat exchanger issues,the motor is...

Wiring humidifier to American Standard furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I have an American Standard freedom 90 comfort R furnace model AUY080R9V3W5 which is a high efficiency 2 stage with dc motor. An Aprilaire 550 humidfier is hooked up to it. The humidifier only comes on if the furnace is on stage 1. It stays off if it kicks into stage 2. The thermostat is a top of...

American Standard - dripping from shower head [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a problem with water dripping from my shower head. I have American Standard hardware with a single lever knob (shower only, no tub). I installed a new cartridge 023529-0070A but that has not fixed the problem. My house is only 4 years old. I'm not a skilled DIY type but this...

View more questions Search