Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pe816 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 12:56 PM
    We are co-signers for college age daughter's student loan - tax credit?
    Our daughter goes to school out of state. Part of her tuition is paid through scholarships, part is through federal student loans (through FAFSA) and part is through a bank collegiate loan in her name co-signed by us. She doesn't have any income. Can we claim this on our joint return or does this have to go on her tax return? Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 01:19 PM
    You CAN caim both the tax credit (HOPE/Lifetime Learning or education deduction) and the student loan interest (if you making payment on the loan) if you are claiming your daughter as a dependent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tuition tax credit for dependent collage age child [ 2 Answers ]

My son's tuition is paid through Federal student loans (from the FAFSA program). Can we enter the tuition paid on our joint tax return because he is a dependent? We did not actually pay any tuition though, it was all covered through loans. We did pay for his books though.

Student loan took my tax refund [ 6 Answers ]

My taxes were taken by my student loan company a couple of years ago. I didn't claim any taxes last year. What are the chances that they will take anything this year? The full amount of the loan was about $8,000. The tax amount taken was about $3500. I would only be claiming one child and not...

College Loan Debt & Credit Card Debt [ 1 Answers ]

Answer Received

State tax return garnished d/t "student loan" [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, My state tax return ($289) was garnished I found out today due to some kind of outstanding student loan. I am told that it may be me or my wife but the state tax office will not say who it is exactly and will not tell me what "agency" has garnished the return. I am told to call the...

I need student debt consolidation loan for poor credit or bad credit [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone suggest me I'm from singapore and I wish to go study in USA.Anyoone suggest

View more questions Search