Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sumitghosh7178 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 12:11 PM
    L1 visa holder, does not yet applied for spouse ITIN
    Hi,

1) I reached NYC on 4th Oct, 2006 with L1 visa.
    2) My spouse reached there on 15th Dec, 2006 with L2.
    3) I filed Income Tax return for 2006 singlely.
    4) We returned back to India on 1st Aug, 2007.
    5) I never applied for ITIN for my spouse.

A. In the above scenario, how can I apply for ITIN for my spouse? I got to know that I need to submit W-7 with "notarized" copies of documents.
    1.What are the documents do I need for her ITIN? (only passport/visa is sufficient or marriage certificate should also be enclosed?)
    2. Will Indian notarization be accepted, or should I notarize from US consulate?
    3. Which check box should I cross in W-7 - e. Spouse of U.S. citizen/resident alien
    Or, g. Dependent/spouse of a nonresident alien holding a U.S. visa ?

B. How can I file Federal tax? Means,
    1. should I apply after ITIN comes? (I guess it would be too late) otherwise, what documents should I attach?
    2. Which form should I fillup? Is it 1040-EZ?

C. Please let me know the same info about NY Tax file.

Thanks and Regards,
    Sumit
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Redundant post; already answered!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Returns for L1A Visa Holder with spouse & 3years Kid [ 7 Answers ]

Raj: I am Raj from India entered and working in US from Aug '06 through L1A visa. My spouse(not working) & kid(less than 3 years) joined me in Oct '06 through L2 visa. This is our first visit to US. I have a SSN but my spouse and Kid do not have SSN. I need to file my returns for 2006...

L1, Spouse on L2 ITIN Filing - Visa or I797A? [ 5 Answers ]

I am on L1 and have SSN. My wife is on L2 and does not have SSN. This is the first time I am filing under Married status. I am preparing Form W7 to be filed with Form 1040-EZ. Instructions for Form W7 Box 6C says enter nonimmigrant visa information, number and expiry date. Since our original...

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

I was on L1 visa want to file joint return. I want to apply for ITIN for spouse [ 4 Answers ]

I was in US(california) from march 2006 - jan 2007 on L1. My wife and kid were on L2. They don't have SSN (I think now its possible to get ssn on L2 ). Now I am back in India and want to file my return with both of them as my dependent. So I think I will have to file W7 for both of them to get...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search