Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    camaromoe Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 10:50 AM
    What's best way to sheetrock over cinderblock wall
    Hi I have a basement wall that is 6' tall cinderblock I want to finish it is there any way to attach sheetrock to it or do I need to frame along side of it? It is kind of small already, so would like to keep as much area as possible. Thanks moe
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 01:10 PM
    The most space efficient way is to use 1x3 or 1x4 furring strips nailed and glued to cinder blocks. These are so crappy though by the time you will probably wish you had given up another 1" and used 2x3 flat against the wall. Be aware that even with 2x3's you will have a problem installing electric. When all is said and done you are probably best off just studding out with 2x4.
    tcm painting Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 04:08 PM
    I had great success with liquid nails and 2X4's. I pre drilled all my holes for the romex before adhering them to the wall
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Feb 19, 2008, 08:10 PM
    id frame up a 2x4 wall , use a treated plate though, and keep it off the wall 1"
    you can use 3/4 boards they have to be treated and u can ram set them to the wall or use cut nails, also masonary screws will work but much slower
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Feb 27, 2008, 09:46 PM
    HILTI makes an adhesive spray foam that works great to attach drywall to any type of block or concrete. The foam will hold the drywall there with no problems, however if the block is overly un-even you would want to stud it up to make it easier to finish.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crack in wall sheetrock [ 5 Answers ]

We have a conventional foundation in a house built in 2001. There is now a 12-18 inch crack in the sheetrock ( very small, not deep) that goes from the top of a window sill at a 90 degree angle toward the ceiling. The outside of the house shows no cracks. Should I be concerned? Thanks a bunch for...

How to remove paint from basement cinderblock . [ 1 Answers ]

Last weekend's nor'easter was more than my 75-year-old basement could stand. Water infiltrated through at least two of the original cinderblock foundation walls. Considering how much rain we had, the amount of seepage wasn't extreme (small rivulets flowing from a few places under the sheetrock)...

Concrete cinderblock exterior wall leaking water [ 8 Answers ]

The drywall and baseboards in the inside exterior kitchen wall were rotting and wet. It is about 6-10 inches above ground level. We live in a concrtete cinderblock house in Florida. After removing the exterior stucco we found water oozing from what appears to be inside the conctrete. What could...

Mold on cinderblock walls [ 8 Answers ]

I have a mold problem on cinderblock walls that I need to fix and would like to take care of it myself. I have to obviously take care of what is happening outside the building so that the moisture doesn't get to the areas that have problems, but what can I do about the inside walls. I have been...

Repairing cinderblock foundation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. I posted this in Exterior Home Improvement but it has not received any replies. I thought it might be better suited here. My house is on a hill so the front is at level with the street and the back foundation is partly exposed. The garge is part of the basement and level with the...

View more questions Search