Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Feb 17, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Need any Blown-In Insulation Tips
    I am looking for tips from anyone who has done this in the past. I have a 50s ranch which has a very small (about 1/3 volume) amount of blown foam insulation in the exterior walls. The exterior is brick so this would have to be done from the interior. The interior walls are the original plaster panelboard 2' x 5' I think is their size.
    Just looking for any think that will help before I start.

Thanks
    Morrowrj
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 02:17 PM
    In a house built in 50's you probably have fire blocking in walls. Probably have to blow in insulation both above and below fire blocking.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Also, homes built in the 50s had very little insulation in the attic. Adding attic insulation up to 19" is cheaper, easier and more effective thatn wall insulation. I am not saying not to do the walls but you get more bank in the attic. Could you tell us if you home has 2x4 or 2xy stud framing or is it cement block or what.

Feb 18, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Exterior walls are 2x4 stud, bricked. Also attic was done once, I would plan to increase this at the same time.

Morrowrj
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 04:16 PM
    "orginal plaster panelboard 2' x 5' " is this drywall or some other material? Most panels or sheets are 4'x8'. No matter what it is you can blow in some insulation but you will need to make a 3" hole at the top and bottom of every wall cavity and Harolds observation is correct.

Feb 18, 2008, 04:50 PM
    What I meant is this is the pre-curcosr to drywall. It is a plasterboard, I haven't tried to drill holes into it yet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blown off [ 17 Answers ]

I met this guy in one of my college classes 4 months ago. We went out a few times, and he’s been to my apartment several times to work on a class project. I’ve had a crush on him since I met him. We talk online all the time. I never let him know I liked him until I found out one night that he was...

Can you actually bury IC rated recessed lighting in blown insulation? [ 1 Answers ]

My Lithonia Lighting L7X IC rated recessed housings spec sheet says approved for direct burial in insulation. OK, I can read, but do you guys really believe I can bury them in over a foot of blown flame retardant cellulose or blown fiberglass? If not a fire hazard, do you think the lights will...

Blown gasket or blown cilynder [ 2 Answers ]

Ok... lets get down to it... I know nothing about cars... I am 17 and a girl and my dad know about as much about cars as I do. Well here's what's happened with my '97 saturn SL1 in the past few weeks. ~My oil light comes on... I tell my dad and he tells me to check it. My boyfriend and I check...

View more questions Search