Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Junegal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 03:56 PM
    Ex-bf and his credit card debt
    I need advice. My problem involves an ex-bf and a credit card account. When I met my ex-bf, he didn't have great credit, so I agreed to open up an account to purchase a laptop for him and he would pay for the credit card. The problem is that, we broke up a few months later. He continued to make payments on the card for a year. Now he has missed 2 months payments. I can't get in touch with him. He doesn't pick up my calls, no return calls, and Im unable to meet him at home because he's never there. I don't know what to do at this point. I do not want to pay for his debt. At this point I won't even mind taking the laptop back and paying for the rest of the debt. But I know he would never agree to that. What should I do? Help!! :confused:
    Junegal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 03:58 PM
    Ex-bf and credit card debt
    I need advice. My problem involves an ex-bf and a credit card account. When I met my ex-bf, he didn't have great credit, so I agreed to open up an account to purchase a laptop for him and he would pay for the credit card. The problem is that, we broke up a few months later. He continued to make payments on the card for a year. Now he has missed 2 months payments. I can't get in touch with him. He doesn't pick up my calls, no return calls, and Im unable to meet him at home because he's never there. I don't know what to do at this point. I do not want to pay for his debt. At this point I won't even mind taking the laptop back and paying for the rest of the debt. But I know he would never agree to that. What should I do? Help!!
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 22, 2006, 04:07 PM
    Is the credit agreement in joint name's or just yours? I'm from the UK and it is the named person on the credit agreement that is held to pay the finance. So you really could end up having to pay off something that does not belong to you any longer, you may have a chance of getting the computer back in small claims court but then again it will only cost you more money.

Can you please tell us where you are from to see if we can help any better !
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2006, 06:45 PM
    Card
    If the card is purely in your name, you will owe all the payments and any late charges and all interst on it.

If the card is in both your names, and he does not pay, they can still come after you.

If you gave him the computer most likely he will not be required to give it back to you, but you can try and sue him for the money in small claims court.

If he still has the card you need to cancel it, if it is in both of your names, you need to cancel it. If it is in your name and he does not have it, you need to get a new one issued with a new number.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2006, 09:32 PM
    Legally, this is YOUR debt.

Pay off the debt. Then take him to small claims court to get the computer back.

It is never a good idea to finane the purchase of a computer through credit cards (interest rate is 21%!! ). A bank loan would have charaged you way way way less.
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Jan 22, 2006, 10:39 PM
    Take this as a very expensive lesson. Pay off the loan, even if it means you have to refinance it with a bank that can offer you a lower interest rate. Call up your current credit card companies and see what kind of interest rate you can negotiate with them for a balance transfer. Many times, your credit card company wants to keep you happy and will offer a super low interest rate with little or no transfer fees. Once you've done that, then pursuit it in small claims. If he's made payments with his checks, you have a paper trail that will show he is responsible for that loan and you can get your money back, but definitely pay it or you may wreck your credit too.
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Feb 9, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Just pay the damm thing, what is it 30 dollars a month for the next few months? Is not worth the potencial trouble. Keep the account up to date and get in contact with him asking for your money back.

Next time you know... Never let anyone to use your credit, keep your personal business apart even if you get married.

Carl.-
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 02:05 PM
    [QUOTE=TheCleaner]Just pay the damm thing, what is it 30 dollars a month for the next few months? Is not worth the potencial trouble. Keep the account up to date and get in contact with him asking for your money back.

Next time you know... Never let anyone to use your credit, keep your personal business apart even if you get married.

Apparently this person doesn't want to or isn't able to pay the $30 a month for the next few months. Maybe it's the principle of the thing.

Take him to Small Claims Court for the balance plus interest, late fees and so forth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt.. Not sure what to do [ 14 Answers ]

I recevied a summons at my place of employment to apprear in court. The two credit cards I owe money to I guess are trying to collect. The plaintiff is Unifund CCR Partners, I am of course the defendant.I have tried about 10 lawyers in the last 2 weeks to contact me with the free advise I need but...

Credit Card Debt - How to Get out of IT? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a large credit card debt of $26000+ on a single card, and a few debts of $900-$1450 on three other cards. I am on a student fellowship, so I don't get very much money each month, but I really need to get out from under this debt - this month the interest rate seems to have drastically...

Credit Card Debt Should I Pay? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My Father Was Given A Credit Card Several Years Ago And Was Financially Unable To Pay It Off. Now He Has Been Served With A Court Date To Pay This Credit Card. He Does Not Own Anything And Is On Social Security, I Heard That There Is Nothing They Can Do To Him To Make Him Pay This Now. Please...

Old credit card debt [ 3 Answers ]

I have an account that has not had any activity on it since 2/02. No payment was made on this account for about 6 months prior to that. I ran into financial difficulties because of medical reasons and had a loss of income. Recently another company has contacted me concerning this account because...

View more questions Search