Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shanemckiness Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 02:54 PM
    Double Sink and Width of Sink Base
    Hello. I just bought my first condo, and immediately changed the appliances (my fridge is now larger than the previous one at 30 inches wide (normal I know). I am not replacing the cabinets. I have limited space on one wall, so I need to DOWNGRADE from a 36 inch SINK BASE to a 33 inch SINK BASE. My building code required:

A continuous waste shall not be used on kitchen sink drain lines. Two traps are required, one for garbage disposal and one for basket strainer.

So I take that this means I NEED a double sink? IF so, I am hard pressed to find a double sink that will fit into a 33 inch sink base. My sink base will be against a wall on the left side,. Can someone help me?

Thanks,
    Shane
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 22, 2006, 04:58 PM
    Hi Shane,

33" sink base doesn't tell me much. What size is the cut out? What size sink are you looking for and why can't you install a single compartment sink with a disposal. It didn't say anything about the sink, just that you couldn't run a continuous waste. Check the condo docs. To see if a double compartment sink is mandatory. Regards, Tom
    shanemckiness Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 05:04 PM
    What exactly is a continuous waste. I took the wording as meaning that I can't have 1 drain with a disposal.

-Shane

There would be 31.5 inches of space in the sink base.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 22, 2006, 05:22 PM
    Shane,

A continuous waste connects both tubs together using a common trap, (see image) One more time what size will the cut out be, (width X length) and check in a single compartment sink. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Sink Base, need a double sink? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I just bought my first condo, and immediately changed the appliances (my fridge is now larger than the previous one at 30 inches wide (normal I know). I am not replacing the cabinets. I have limited space on one wall, so I need to DOWNGRADE from a 36 inch SINK BASE to a 33 inch SINK BASE....

No running water in one sink of double vanity [ 8 Answers ]

Hello all. I have an original (1990) builder-grade double vanity in my master bath. One sink works perfectly, the other sink will not run water. I checked the shut-off valves under the sink, they seem fine. There was no reason for them to have been turned off anyway, I was just making sure. ...

Kitchen double sink backfilling [ 1 Answers ]

Just recently the kitchen sink has been filling up through the drain on both sides of the double sink whenever water is ran (starts immediately after water is ran). It is really bad whenever the dishwasher or garbage disposal is used. The water rising up into the sink is also filled with little...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

New double sink [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new double bowl sink and have a problem. When there is water in both bowls, it drains very slowly. Water in just one bowl OK. One thing I did not do was add a tail piece to the trap before attaching the 'double' drain pipe. Could it be that there is not enough length from...

View more questions Search