Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brittanysmith Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 11:12 PM
    Scholarships to children of a felon
    I resently turned eighteen and have been accepted into college. What would be some scholarships for children of felons. My father went to jail when I was five and although recently released he refuses to help me pay for college?

Any help would be greatly appriciated. :)
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Feb 17, 2008, 02:11 AM
    You can probably get fafsa money or vocational rehab money in some states.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2008, 03:23 AM
    Just because your father committed a felony and did time for it is not any kind of bar to you receiving a scholarship or financial aid of some kind. Also, because he is a convicted felon does not mean that there are some kind of financial aid or scholarship provided for prospective students because of that kind of situation existing. How your grades have been and what your needs are financially that you can't meet on your own here would be the main factors to be considered.

My suggestion would be to start applying for financial aid wherever you want to go to school and see what happens.

FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid does look like a good place to start. Hopefully, others will come along and post here with some additional ideas for you.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2008, 04:24 PM
    I did just think of something else, and that would be the possibility of child support coming into issue here because you are wanting to continue your schooling beyond high school.

Is your father supposed to be paying child support? Because if he is, it most likely would be possible for it to be continued up to you being a certain age beyond 18 if you are going to go to college.

Feb 17, 2008, 04:36 PM
    I already did FAFSA and the state in which he lives in does not continue child support after the age of eighteen..

Feb 17, 2008, 04:38 PM
    I have great grades. Top 20% of my class. Thank you for your help.
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Are you open to seeing what a number of different colleges or universities have to offer as far as scholarships and/or financial aid? Or, are you intent on going to only one institution?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 05:14 PM
    There are the same grants, loans and money available to anyone, there is working part time to help pay, there are ROTC programs.
    Some colleges offer better programs than others.
    rd1129 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2013, 11:50 AM
    I would rather not give my name out please.

I have a question I'm a past convicted felon not drug just or murder etc not a sex offender. Joy riding. I have two boys 1 is wanting to start college this year fall 2013. I don't make much money in fact I haven't been able to work since Jan 7th 2011 due to my back surgery. I have remarried but she is a disabled vet. So money is so very tight.
    Does any body know other than FASAM is there a way for him to get financial help?He wants to be a police officer in Ok.
    Please don't judge me it was when I was 19 year old. I', now 42 with not even a speeding ticket.
    Just need a little help for Him and his brother in a few years.

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scholarships [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if there was any way to receive grants or scholarships for martial arts training.If so where would I look to find one that's legit?thanks

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

Looking for scholarships in ms [ 3 Answers ]

Hallow everyone, I'm new and I just need a clarification. I'm doing my ug in india(engg) n planning to go for advanced studies in some well known university. I would like to know the basis on which the universities like MIT,SF, etc are offering scholarships and financial aid. I would like to do my...

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

View more questions Search