Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davejag Posts: 308, Reputation: 5

Feb 16, 2008, 09:49 PM
    What's the difference between gas and a baby kick
    This might sound really strange but what does it really feel like when your baby moves? Could it feel like a bit of gas passing in the system?
    hatch Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Feb 16, 2008, 09:55 PM
    My wife had a baby boy 4 months ago. He's the cutest little thing. When she was pregnant. She said I think he's moving. She thought it felt like "butterflies" so I guess gas could be a similar feeling. How far along are you?

Feb 16, 2008, 10:18 PM
    I am 25 weeks but I have never really felt the baby move, we have had 8 ultrasounds because of problems, I guess I am just scared. Is there anyway of telling if he or she is still okay, without feeling them move?
    CMM_Kaleido Posts: 77, Reputation: 8

Feb 16, 2008, 10:51 PM
    I did not feel my first baby move--at least in manner I could tell was him--until between 26 and 27 weeks. Moving gas bubbles could describe the motion. For me it was more like a twitch just below the surface. Everyone probably has a slightly different impression of the movement. The standard butterfly description never seemed to fit what I was feeling.

The best thing for you and the baby is for you to try not to worry. I remember the constant worry about the baby being okay.

Trust that your body is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing.

How's your morning sickness?

Feb 16, 2008, 11:26 PM
    First of all thanks for all the great answers. My morning sickness is medicated so I don't really feel it anymore. I used to get so violently ill I had to be hospitalized, and put on an IV because I wasn't even keeping down any water.
    For the most part I feel some pain on my right upper side that feels like stretching but I am not sure if that's kicking.

Feb 16, 2008, 11:47 PM
    Here's the thing I've hear about morning sickness. The worse it is the better the chances that your pregnancy is fine. It means you have plenty of that pregnancy hormone running through your body keeping everything going the way it should.

So thank God for the inability to keep food down!

(not really, but you know what I mean)

Pain on right upper side--right under the ribs? I remember that really well. Had that through most of the first pregnancy--maybe it was on the left side--I think what I was feeling was from all my organs getting squished to make room for baby.

Feb 17, 2008, 12:32 AM
    Haha you that's what the doctor kept telling me your lucky because every time you get sick you'll know the baby is still doing okay. The pain is on the right hand side in the middle of side not by the ribs, if that helps I just feel a lot of gas like movement.

Feb 17, 2008, 12:58 AM
    Maybe the gas-like feelings are the baby. When the movements get stronger in a few weeks you will know for sure and you will be able to look back and say--aha, that was the baby.

Sounds like you are doing great and have a good relationship with your doctor. That will gone a long way toward easing your nerves.

You are only pregnant for the first time once so do everything you can to enjoy. I know it is impossible not to worry--but maybe enjoy that too, as the beginnings of finding your footing as a parent.
    stormey44 Posts: 380, Reputation: 3

Feb 17, 2008, 06:20 AM
    Well I'm also 25 weeks but this is my third but I can deff tell her kicks they are strong and power full but with my first it was more like flutters for a little while longer

Feb 17, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Starrviolet--I am sorry I think you misunderstood me. I did not mean to imply that the pregnancy was healthy because she has bad morning sickness.

I did not have any morning sickness worth mentioning for either of my children either.

What I meant, and as davejag confirmed her doctor has told her, if you have morning sickness (and the worse it is the more sure you can be that it is still there) it means the pregnancy hormone is still there, which means you are still pregnant--going back to one of davejag original concerns (different post) "If the baby had died (god for bid) would my body let me know?"

Really did not mean to imply that your body was doing an inferior job of being pregnant if there is less morning sickness. Like I said I had very little "morning" sickness and both pregnancies went great.
    Mexicanlover89 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 09:21 PM
    I know what you mean davejag I feel the gassy movements and the sharp pains too. This is my first pregnancy and I freak about every little problem. I constantly think something is wrong but the doctor makes me feel better when I go. BUt if your doctor tells you about them please tell me. I go to the doctor Tuesday and I will ask too. But I know how you feel Im 24 weeks so when I get the gas movements I can feel it on the outside of my tummy and think that's the baby but still not sure. Good luck and hope everything is goes well.

Feb 18, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Thanks I have made an appointment but won't be able to see him till next week, so if you know anything please let me know. Thanks to all the great answers

Feb 18, 2008, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CMM_Kaleido
    Here's the thing I've hear about morning sickness. The worse it is the better the chances that your pregnancy is fine. It means you have plenty of that pregnancy hormone running through your body keeping everything going the way it should.

So thank God for the inability to keep food down!

(not really, but you know what I mean)

Okay, I have ticked off some people with my above response. My wording was too flippant and I apologize. I did not mean to make light of "morning" sickness. I was speaking specifically to davjag's queries in terms of looking for another way to tell if the pregnancy was still in effect. For the record, I was not completely off my rocker with my response. This quote is from the American Pregnancy Association

"Many health care providers think morning sickness is a good sign because it means the placenta is developing well."

Morning Sickness : American Pregnancy Association

Again, I apologize for my poorly worded response. Thank you J_9 and Starrviolet for calling me on it.

davejag, good luck at your doctor's appointment. I hope all is well!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to kick me out [ 1 Answers ]

I live with my ex in a two bedroom,We live in Florida, I am not a lease holder but I am listed on the lease as a roommate. We had an argument and he told me he wanted me out. I have alweays paid my rent and utilities, I have lived there for 8 months and some of the utilities are in my name.What are...

I'm having a baby and my dog already thinks she's my baby! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I'm new to this board and I just wanted to ask a questions. I have two dogs. An 8 month old St. Bernard female named Moose and a 1 & 1/2 yeard old Samyoed male name Buckie. I just recently found out I was pregnant and have started to get really worried. Buckie is VERY attached to Moose but...

A/C Won't Kick On! [ 3 Answers ]

Last night I went to the thermostat to turn on the air. Flipped it on, and about 5 seconds after that the battery in the thermostat died and my A/C unit shut off. No problem, I replaced the 9-volt in the thermostat and everything works now except the A/C unit. If I set it to cool nothing will go...

Baby strange illness. Whole body of baby get harden [ 9 Answers ]

My brother's baby boy 4 months old got a strange illness. He had blood tested, brain scanning, lung checking etc. Everything is normal. But the baby boy got an unpreditable "body harden" illness. That is when it happens, the whole body of the baby get stiff and he can not move, can not cry... We...

Lose of 1 baby boy & 2 baby girls [ 4 Answers ]

I have meet a lady on myspace and she has lost 3 kids a little boy and a set of twin girls the boy was about 2 years ago he only lived a couple of hours and the twins one lived 3 days and the other only an hour. What can I do to help her through this time? I just feel so sorry for her. Two years...

View more questions Search