Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coachdjo Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 12:04 PM
    How to remove ceramic tile mastic from hardwood floor.
    I removed an old ceramic tile floor in my foyer that was put down over hardwood flooring. The tiles came up pretty easily as they had been there about 20 years. The leftover residue of mastic and grout is pretty brittle. I would like to know the easiest way to clean that up and try to sand and refinish the hardwood floor. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2008, 01:29 PM
    There is a rigid and flexible blade available for this tool: Fein Multimaster
    Fein Power Tools USA Quality Precision Power Tools

Some of the applicable tools:
    C. & E. FEIN GmbH - Der FEIN MULTIMASTER

It also can help do finishing sanding operations as well. Look at the videos.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 02:31 PM
    When I read your post I knew without a doubt KISS would be all over it with his new tool. It is a cool tool, wish I had one. If you can get your hands on a rotary hammer you can chip the floor using a wide chisel. Inferior to KISS's new tool but many people already them.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Bb:
    Your thinking again. The day I opened the box, I did 3 things:

1) Cut off a bell estucheon plate.
    2) Used the detail sanding disk to sand a plumbing pipe
    3) Used the flex scraper to remove some gunk from a table.
    4) MADE A TOOL: To remove butyl adhesive from plastic moulding.
    It works, but I'll do the full removal later.
    And today I used it to cut up some cardboard boxes.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 02:55 PM
    I am simply amazed with some tools and find myself window shopping way too often for my budget. Unfortunately I need a great variety of tools because I do plumbing, tiling, carpentry, electrical work and Drywall/paint. If I own the best tools for each of these types of jobs I'd need a bigger truck and new wife. I am considering the FEIN because It appears something that would crossover a lot. Good pick, KISS

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile over hardwood floor [ 2 Answers ]

Have a hardwood floor that has some replacement boards in it, in a bathroom. There are some good size cracks between the boards. What would be the best product to use to put between the cracks and level up the floor so I can put down "peel and stick" tile squares on the bathroom floor. Want it to...

How to remove ceramic tile removed from concrete floor [ 3 Answers ]

There is a 3'x4' area of ceramic tile at the base of my stairwell between living and dining areas. Laminate flooring will be laid. Is it necessary to remove the small area of tile? Or, can laminate flooring be laid over it? If it needs to be removed what is the simplest way? :(

How do you remove ceramic fireplace tile front? [ 1 Answers ]

We are in the process of restoring a circ 1890 Victorian house; today’s subject is CERAMIC FIREPLACE FRONTS. The tiles used are Trent, about 3” long by 1.5” wide. There are a few missing but we have a plan that we can live with. The wall, that the tile is mounted on, has deteriorated and many...

Removing Hardset Tile Mastic from Concrete Floor [ 1 Answers ]

I need to remove a hardset ( not glue type) mastic from a large area of concrete floor. The mastic is almost as hard as the concrete and must be ground down in order to lay carpet. I am currently using a floor belt sander with hardest grade paper. It's moving at just about a snails pace. Is...

View more questions Search