Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Moen faucets
    Hi there,

We have two one handle bathroom moen sink faucets and they are dripping (leaking) I wonder if it can be repacked and tell me how they are one of the expensive ones, Thanks in advance, John
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Hey Afroo... if it is a moen single handle lavatory faucet all you need to do is shut off hot and cold water to sink (release pressure by turning on faucet for a second). Then remove handle (pop plastic off top of handle to access screw and remove phillips head screw) and you should see a cartridge under the handle with a copper clip surrounding it.

Pop this clip out with a flat screwdriver... pull with upward force.. but not too much. Then, pull the moen cartridge out and see if there is a calcium/mineral deposit and/or wear and tear that is obvious. Then do a simple PULSE to the water lines to purge of any debris (put rag over faucet and hold down while pulsing the water).

You can try to clean the cartridge and replace and see what happens OR can go to home depot or Lowe's or a local plumbing supply house... and purchase new cartridges and then replace,reinstall all and test.

OR call 1800buymoen AND if you have model number of the 2 faucets they may send you the cartridges for free...if you go this route do not remove cartridges until new ones arrive!!
    Anyway.. not a hard job... the clip will give you a little trouble... and also note that when removing the cartridge you may need to give good yank to pull it out... sometimes after removing the clip I put handle back on and pull up and out.. cartridge pops out nicely then.

Hey let me know how it goes.

If my post helped please RATE THIS ANSWER by clicking on rate this answer above right or at bottom of post. Thank you.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2008, 11:56 AM
    Most good hardware stores have repair parts -- this should help you repair them

Consumer Product Catalog - Product Detail

Installation Help / Animated Tutorial - Installing the Moen 1225 / 1200 Cartridge

Hope this helps -- Please rate my answer
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Hey biggsie... nice to meet you. If you had arrived a few minutes earlier... would have saved me some major typing ;)

Hey, do you mind if I steal that link to install/moen cartridge? Afaroo hit that link button and should be all set! Good luck.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Hello Massplumber and Biggsie faucets are Moven model number L7400, as per your advise contacted Moven and they will send me 2 cartridges, Thanks for your help will let you know when the job is done. John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Faucets [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any particular brands of kitchen faucets that may be hard to repair or hard to get replacement parts for if they break?

Thermostatic faucets [ 1 Answers ]

How do I convert a duel exit thermostatic shower faucet (1/2 inch) to a reguler duel exit shower faucet? Thanks

Sticky faucets [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed new stems in my single lever Preicefister bathroom faucets. They are as hard to turn on as old ones. Is there a lube I should have used on the stems before installation? Old1ear

Bathtub faucets [ 5 Answers ]

When you install a faucet in a bathtub do you turn it in or out

Tub faucets [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to get the estuechon(flared shell) off tub faucets to replace the washers on the valve stems. They are threaded on and have corroded so badly that I cannot turn them to remove so I can get to the valves. Does anyone have ideas on how I might get these off without tearing them to...

View more questions Search