Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alain2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Grammar: prepositional phrases and ing verbs
    Is the following sentence correct? It sounds very awkward to me:

-----
    Wilson's live talks routinely draw 300 to 600 people, with them literally driving eight hours one way to see him.
    -----

Naturally "with them" refers back to the people, but this sounds to me like the person who wrote this is saying "them drove 8 hours," and I'm wondering if I'm just being really old fashioned or if this sentence is actually incorrect.

Thank you for your help,

Alain

>Moved from Forum Help<
    CMM_Kaleido Posts: 77, Reputation: 8

Feb 17, 2008, 12:50 AM
    I think your instinct is right on this one. As I understand it from The Gregg Reference Manual a prepositional phrase (with them driving.. . ) may be used as a noun, an adjective, or an adverb.

In this case, the phrase is not a noun or an adverb (it does not modify the verb "draw"). It is an adjective that modifies "talks" (the talks drive eight hours) This is not what the writer intends.

The sentence would be better off reading something like this
    "Wilson's live talks routinely draw 300 to 600 people. Many of these people drive eight hours one way to see his presentations."

Or

"Wilson's live talks routinely draw 300 to 600 people who drive eight hours to see them."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Some new Russian phrases [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't taken any Russian classes, yet. But I have been doing some online studies, and have a Russian friend who has taught me much. I know the alphabet and how to read cyrillic, just not what it all means! Anyway, I know the basic phrases (i.e. da, nyet, privet, da svidanya, spasibo,...

Explain these phrases [ 6 Answers ]

1. To lose the glory of from 2. To forego the wreath 3. Sunset glow 4. Golden Days Decline 5. Hot prison of the present

Verbs agreement [ 1 Answers ]

Is this sentence correct? The most interesting place I have visited last summer was Mohican Park.

Modal verbs [ 1 Answers ]

The personnel department might give you a reference The personnel department could give you a reference The personnel department would give you a reference The personnel department should give you a reference Could you tell me the difference between these modal verbs? Thanks

View more questions Search