Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pvnc66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 07:33 AM
    DUI laws in PA regarding probation violation
    In 2000, I was convicted of DUI, 1st offense. I completed the ARD program, and was on probation for another year. During my probation, my P.O. attempted to break into my house, and when I went to see what was going on, he burst in, and there was 1/2 of a bottle of beer on my coffee table. Yes, I did violate my probation by having that bottle of beer, and I did 6 months in prison for it.

Seven years later, I am looking at another DUI, and come to find out that my criminal record has not one, but TWO DUI's on it! Does a probation violation count as a 2nd DUI? I wasn't near a car, didn't own a car... I was asleep in my home, thinking that someone was breaking into it.

The Public Defender that was assigned to my case is telling me that I'm looking at a minimum of a year in prison. This doesn't seem right to me. Any insight on this matter?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Hello pv:

You only have ONE DUI. That DUI having occurred seven years ago oughtn't be enough to send you to the joint for even a day.

If your PD won't investigate the record problem, and still thinks you're going to the slam, I'd fire him and hire another one. You can do that by certified mail with a copy to the judge and the prosecutor.

I can't tell if you're charged with a felony or a misdemeanor. It's probably a misdemeanor. Therefore, they MIGHT appoint you a new attorney for free - not one from the PD's office. However, if you are charged with a felony, they'd be REQUIRED to appoint a new one at no charge.

If they don't, pay for one. Think of it this way. How much money could you earn in a year?

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Of course I have no problem with a person doing a DUI and esp a second one, doing a year in jail. ( sorry but DUI kills 1000'sof innocent people every year)

With that said, you would have one DUI and a probation violatoin of DUI on record. From when your probation officer was there to do a surprise home inspection and found you in violation of the terms of your probation.

But you can go to the court house and review your records, have a separate criminal record pulled at the police department to verify what it says.

A NCIC report would say the dates of the arrests and the dates of any convictions.

If it is incorrect it should be a easy thing for an attorney to fix.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation violation for a dui [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend just got senteced to 4 years in state prison for violating his probation . I know that he broke the law and should be punished but I'm really curious as to can they really make him serve that long in prison. I guess they can but I reallly want to know is there anything he can do to get...

Dui Probation Violation [ 2 Answers ]

My son has been on probation for the last two years he is almost done with the probation, however had gone out drinking. When he was walking home, he thinks that he was stopped by the cops and asked for id. There was no arrest made, he was not searched or handcuffed. If he was in violation of...

DUI Probation Violation [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, My son violated his probation by testing positive for alcohol .024 and .021%. His probation began in May 2007 and his violation occurred in January 2008. This is his second DUI and he is only 18. The first was as a juvenile and he did about the same thing, tested positive for pot with only...

Dui probation violation [ 3 Answers ]

I was convicted of a dui in 2004 in the state of virginia I went to a 12 step program but I missed 3 classes so I was told to take it over again . I never did because I was homeless and moved back home to Texas I have not been able to get back into class because they want a cour torder saying that...

Probation violation - DUI [ 6 Answers ]

My son has served 5 1/2 months of a 12 moth sentence (2/3 of time served is 8 months) and was released on CWP (CA work program) to serve the remaining time of 75 days. He was taken in for a “probation violation”. He has 17 days left of his original sentence. How much time will he have to...

View more questions Search