Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gulsaz shamim Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 06:39 AM
    Why RBCs are called corpuscles?
    I studied that RBCs, WBCs & platelets are called corpuscles because these cells don't divide but the fact is that even neurons & other differentiated cells too don't divide.I agree on the point that the corpuscles are much more specialized than the others but I still want to know the actual reason of such nomenclature & moreover why now we use the terms erythrocytes,leucocytes & thrombocytes for RBCs,WBCs & platelets?
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Feb 16, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Corpuscle is an archaic term that includes all of the cells occurring in blood. From your question you already know how inadequate the term has become. Continuing on this theme the definition also fails because WBCs do divide. So, the term isn’t a useful way to classify blood cells. The RBCs, WBCs & platelets nomenclature reflects how to tell the cells apart under a microscope.

Quote Originally Posted by gulsaz shamim
    why now we use the terms erythrocytes,leucocytes & thrombocytes for RBCs,WBCs & platelets?
    Latin was the language of medicine & science. The names are synonyms reflecting the English and Latin “versions” of the name (erythro = red)
    sovaira Posts: 271, Reputation: 10

Feb 17, 2008, 04:55 AM
    Corpuscles are same as cells, and according to my knowledge it has nothing to do with its division or else.

Corpuscle is an archaic term that has several meanings:

A small free floating biological cell, especially ones occurring in blood
    A nerve ending such as Meissner's corpuscle or a Pacinian corpuscle
    A subatomic particle obsoleted by the modern electron and used in J.J. Thomson's plum-pudding model of the atom
    A single, infinitesimally small, particle of light. Isaac Newton proposed this term to represent a concept that was quite different from the idea of a photon.
    A member of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, or of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge.
    Term referring to an employee of the United States Army Corps of Engineers

with courtesy of wikipedia.org

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is this called? [ 5 Answers ]

I know someone who needs help understanding what's going on with him. I don't know whether it's called precognition or clairaudience or what. He's afraid to talk about it because he thinks people will think he's nuts so he just keeps it inside. He mostly hears people being tortured, killed, beat...

What are they called? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering what you call these symbols _ and -?

Should he have called? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this site. I've been out of the dating relm for awhile since I've recently got out of a long term relationship. I'm in my mid twenties and I've started dating this new guy. We've only been out 4 times, but each time has gone great with the last date being an overnight date, that I...

I called him [ 1 Answers ]

My ex and I broke up about a month ago- I've called him 5 times since then- once after I received a missed call from him which actually was him accidentally dialing me from his pocket- I was really upset as this was just after an exam also which I had a really hard time studying for because of the...

What's it called [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new, first post. You know when you fill out a form on the internet, say you need to type your e-mail address for example. You type the first letter and you get the drop down box showing every word you ever typed starting with that letter, including every time I've misspelled my e-mail...

View more questions Search