Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bettyboop1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 07:33 PM
    What qualifies an expert witness? How is an expert qualified and who qualifies him?
    What qualifies an expert witness? How is an expert qualified and who qualifies him?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2008, 07:56 PM
    If the person went to school and got a degree for what they are testifying to.
    Like a forensic scientist is an expert witness that the DNA matches.
    A psychologist is an expert witness that a person displays multiple personalities.
    A fire marshal is an expert witness that a fire started because of faulty wiring
    An insurance adjuster can claim that a problem existed or happened as a result of...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Their experience and training, for example, I am trained by course work approved by the POST ( Police training) in accident investigation, and have investigated as a police officer many accidents. So I could be hired as a expert witness ( and have been) to testify about accident reconstruction, and possible at fault methods.

If you are a medical doctor licensed with the AMA you would be considered an expert allowed to testify, That does not mean you are a good witness, unless you are experienced at testifying in court.

A fingerprint expert will have training accepted by the court as a finger print witness.
    jbadd99 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bettyboop1
    As I recall, the Supreme Court has said that anyone who has "above average" knowledge of a subject can be considered an "expert" and the validity of the testimony rests with the jury and the judge is ultimately responsible for determining who is considered an "expert"

Therefore, almost everyone is an expert at *something*

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Personal growth.I believe this qualifies [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I Have been going to see a social worker for a little over a year{once a month}. It's for moral support basically. I know all about the code of ethics and possible pitty but I would like some advice on this... I first noticed that I seemed to make this social worker nervous. Always with...

Useful but not expert? [ 13 Answers ]

First, this is not the best place to have posted this question. The Forum Community Forum is for discussions primarily about this site. There is a Business & Careers forum that is more appropriate. Specifically the Human Reources subforum: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165 ...

View more questions Search