Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rustypiper Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 06:58 AM
    Toilet bowl empties itself
    Hi, Just discovered your site and here's my puzzle to start! Been in this house 6 months. its @20-25 yrs old on city sewer system, 3 bathrooms (1 in the basement). This problem started after a weekend with lots of family here. The master bathroom toilet bowl empties the water within @5 minutes of refilling leaving a nice aroma of sewer line - no leakage on floor, and can hear "gurgling" noices in toilet and can also hear other toilets flush. Have also noticed a "sewer smell" in the sink in the same bathroom, primarily when using hot water, ever since we bought this house. Advise if I can offer any more input - thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 22, 2006, 07:13 AM
    Hi Rusty,

The water is being sucked out of the toilet bowl and the lavatory trap by suction. This suction's caused by a blocked vent and the system is attempting to vent through the traps in the fixtures. The answer to your problem is to snake and clear the lavatorys roof vent. You may call in a plumber or do the job yourself. If you choose to do the job yourself and need help or instructions, click on back. Regards, Tom

Jan 22, 2006, 05:48 PM
    Toilet bowl empties itself
    I went up on the roof with the inexpensive "snake" I picked up somewhere, and found the 4" OD pipe (?uncapped) with a definite obstruction which the snake seemed to break up and /or push down @20'. The toilet level seems to be staying up, but is there a better means of cleaning the vent to rid any partial blockage left? Thanks a lot for your help!

Jan 22, 2006, 05:49 PM
    Correction: water is not staying up - is it time for a pro?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 22, 2006, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rustypiper
    correction: water is not staying up - is it time for a pro?
    It's time to rent a commercial sewer snake. Snaking a clogged line is the only sure wayto clear it. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet bubbles when washing machine empties [ 13 Answers ]

When my washing machine empties into the washtub, the nearby toilet has recently (about the past four - five months) started to have big air bubbles come out of the toilet bowl, making a very loud bwoop bwoop bwoop sound. The bubbles are so large that they actually cause water to splash on the...

HELP! Air bubbles coming from toilet... overflow on flush, occasionally empties and... [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am in a modern condomiunim. My unit is next to the laundry room (wondering if that's relevant due to the washers). Occasionally, the toilet gets air bubbles for about a minute. If I try to flush during this period, the toilet just overflows and the water doesn't empty. I tried using a...

Toilet bowl does not fill why? [ 18 Answers ]

The toilet works,tank fills and it flushes,but the bowl gets no water?what is up with this?

Toilet empties when different toilet flushed [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have a confusing problem.I just installed a new toilet in place of an existing one. The promblem is when I flush the new toto toilet, my other toilet bowl almost completely empties.. The 2 toilets are basically back to back, and use the same vent pipe through the roof.(3 inch copper).No pipes...

Toilet bowl seal [ 1 Answers ]

I took the toilet out of our bathroom. After I removed it, I found there was No wax seal, only a round rubber seal about two inches wide all the way Around. I have looked in stores for this, and have not seen one. I used A wax seal and I have a little bit of water leaking around the base. When...

View more questions Search